Tree sap gathering and syrup making

Pics
Oh my gosh I just found this thread and I’m so excited!!

This is my first year tapping, but it’s a horrible year for it up here in the Pacific Northwest. We’ve had nothing but warm wet winter weather, until this week. I am going to tap some Bigleaf maples and alders. I only have access to a few trees so I’m thinking of just making a blend to use for cooking beans? Does that sound horrible or reasonable?

I’ll be doing the evap on my outdoor propane burner (it’s hardwired into the 250 gallon house tank).

that setup with the tubing and bucket is impressive! I just have milk jugs 😂

Oh my gosh I just found this thread and I’m so excited!!

This is my first year tapping, but it’s a horrible year for it up here in the Pacific Northwest. We’ve had nothing but warm wet winter weather, until this week. I am going to tap some Bigleaf maples and alders. I only have access to a few trees so I’m thinking of just making a blend to use for cooking beans? Does that sound horrible or reasonable?

I’ll be doing the evap on my outdoor propane burner (it’s hardwired into the 250 gallon house tank).

that setup with the tubing and bucket is impressive! I just have milk jugs 😂
Do you have birch trees available?

Anyone hear of making syrup from Elm? I have a bunch of them on my property and they are so wet that they bog down the chainsaw when you cut them down or limb them. Not unusual to have liquid shoot a foot or so from the tree if you remove a branch.

Seems like if it's any good that they certainly have plenty of sap...

And is there any reason you couldn't tap when it's warm? These things don't stop bleeding like crazy even in the middle of summer.

Back
Top Bottom