Tree sap gathering and syrup making

Pics
Started reparing lines around 11. Tank had about 35 gal. Finishing around 2:30. Tank had 100gal. Going to get into the low 20's tonight, but in the 50-60° range Wed-Fri, with Friday night finally getting below freezing again.
Hoping to get 800+ gal of sap in the next couple days.
Good luck everyone, looks like its going to get busy.

OMG I have a 100yr old black walnut tree... never ever thought of harvesting syrup from it, would almost be scared of killing the poor thing but wow, now I might have to go tree hunting and figure out what we have around and what we could tap! We might have some birch, some pecan, and see a lot of white oak I think...

OMG I have a 100yr old black walnut tree... never ever thought of harvesting syrup from it, would almost be scared of killing the poor thing but wow, now I might have to go tree hunting and figure out what we have around and what we could tap! We might have some birch, some pecan, and see a lot of white oak I think...
I would imagine your old walnut tree has some kids scattered around somewhere as well. 100 years of dropped nuts should have produced something...

I have never done birch before. My neighbor does quite a bit. As I understand, it can be tricky without an Reverse Osmosis system.

I know it’s not really a good pancake syrup and more of a baking or brewing flavoring.

I started boiling sap today. I actually collected 55 gallons of sap today. I did not think I would get any.
i have a friend who tried to make it one year, said it was savory but took a lot of work he did not use an RO system but said he also might of burnt it a little as it was kinda bitter.

i read online you can go with out an RO system, just got to keep it under 200F and can not keep adding sap to it. seems to be easier done on a propane cooking system.

but still seems a lot more tricky then maple syrup. also was told that it eats metal buckets and taps, as the sap is more acidic then maple.

i have a friend who tried to make it one year, said it was savory but took a lot of work he did not use an RO system but said he also might of burnt it a little as it was kinda bitter.

i read online you can go with out an RO system, just got to keep it under 200F and can not keep adding sap to it. seems to be easier done on a propane cooking system.

but still seems a lot more tricky then maple syrup. also was told that it eats metal buckets and taps, as the sap is more acidic then maple.
I have read about the same.

I am going to RO it, instead of 4 membranes I might use 8.

I have read even with the RO it will burn easy.

I also read using vacuum whether natural from gravity lines or a pump will lower production.

7/16 holes over 5/16. Just weird.

I would imagine your old walnut tree has some kids scattered around somewhere as well. 100 years of dropped nuts should have produced something...
You would think! Especially since I've been tossing the nuts to the edge of the woods out of the way of the lawn mower every year for the last 11 years. I was thinking of propagating it this year with a cut branch. But it hasn't unless I'm mistaking young black walnut for young pecans. 🤷‍♀️

I think the pecan trees will be worth trying. I searched and couldn't find a direct reference to anyone using them except that nut trees related to walnuts would work. There's at least 2 or 3 of those right near the house of decent size. All I would need is a spile, bucket, maybe a hose, and a fire pit and cooking utensils...🤔

Just found this thread and had a question. I have a maple, specific species I don't know. Every year it leaks near the bottom and attracts huge flies. I've joked about tapping it because apparently it has enough. This year as soon as it warmed up after the big winter storm it sounded like a bee swarm at the base of the tree there was so many flies. In comparison none on the horses, cattle or their manure yet.
1 can I? 2 Is that what it is? Sap leaking out of it near the base.
With one tree I have no intention of making syrup, just want fly control. Later in the year the huge flies are still there along with all others.

Back
Top Bottom