Tree selection for run

Pocahontas7799

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 15, 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
I'm getting ready to convert my 8'x8'x10' shed into a coop and build a net run on the side. I'm planning on bringing home some chicks in mid April or early march and I want to plant a tree next to the run this fall to give them shade during the day when they are not free ranging. What are some good trees that I could plant that would grow at a normal or faster rate to shade the chickens? I live in zone 6 and the tree would get full sun 8+ hours. Also something I worry about is I do have a septic tank and my leach field ends about 20 feet away from the coop. So I need a tree that does not have aggressive rooting systems that could possibly clog or damage my leach lines. I don't want a $25,000 tree.
1f61d.png

Any tree is going to find your leach field. The general rule is the roots extend 3 times the canopy of the tree out from the trunk. I would go with a vine that you can train to go up the run fence and it will give you shade next year and not in 5. I just use a shade cloth (like they use for dairies or horse fly masks) and take it down in the winter so it doesn't load up with snow.

A net run is not going to be strong enough to keep predators (dogs mostly) out. Keep your eye on CL for free chainlink or dog run panels.

It wouldn't be cheap fiber netting. It looks like netting so that's what I call it sometimes. I have some vinyl(PVC) coated chicken wire that our neighbors left to me when they moved but it's only 50' long and 5' tall. I know chicken wire is not the safest material as my past flock years back was attacked by a very heavy set raccoon that managed to push a big enough hole in it to get stuck and caught by me in the early morning. Haha. But could I use that chicken wire as the top and maybe add some heavier gage hardware cloth for the sides and burrowed down to keep digging predators out? I do have a Chinese wisteria that I am training as a tree at the moment but I could easily find another. I know exactly what you are recommending but I didn't think it would be the greatest idea since wisteria gets very large and could possibly weigh down the fence even with support. Here is an example I have pinned on Pinterest.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Although not a tree, rose bushes and butterfly bushes are very good to use. They grow big and offer lots of shade. The chickens will like munching on the bottom of them so be sure to inclose them while they grow. But these are safe and wonderful plants lt use in your run.

Good luck and welcome to our flock!:)

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in building your coop. What kind of chickens do you plan on getting?

I plan on soaking in as much knowledge as I can to keep my feathered friends happy and healthy! And meet some other friendly chicken lovers.

It's so hard to just choose a few breeds out of all the beautiful breeds out there. I'm debating on starting a flock with barred rocks, black australorps, RIR, buff orpingtons, and ameraucanas. I recently discovered minorcas and fell in love!
1f60d.png

have you considered some dwarf trees like the dwarf apple trees? they only get to 3 meters max in height, and don't usually spread outwards to much. Otherwise if its wet where you are then I would suggest a willow tree. they grow super fast

Back
Top Bottom