Treehouse Chicken Coop

Seems like you can see sky through that upper roof... If so, then that roof is probably in pretty bad shape all the way around, as it implies there's no roofing material. Split the difference - take off the top half, keep the now floor as the new roof, maybe find a way to jack up one side, to make it a shed roof, so the rain flows off more easily, and go from there.

Someone may have already mentioned this, but are you prepared to climb up there once a day to pick up eggs? ;)

What breed of chickens do you have? I have a sort of 2-story coop with a loft 8' off the ground. My chickens are game hens and leghorn mixes so they fly right up there without a ladder. In the morning they fly right down.

It is not that hard to clean, collect eggs, add food and water. I set up a pulley system so I put everything in a bucket and raise and lower the bucket. It is harder than just having a coop on the ground, but it was what I had to work with when I moved in.

It is my dream to have a treehouse chicken coop. I think your coop will be great.

I agree that being that far off the ground will pose some serious challenges, especially in winter with ice and snow to deal with. I can't imagine not having quick, easy access to the coop. I sometimes need to get things done quickly, like in the morning when I am running late. I also like to be able to see my girls when I walk by, as a quick check that all is well.

It might save you money now to go with what is already there, but be more costly later when you have to rebuild. I would disassemble and reuse the wood. Look on Craig's List and FB Marketplace for free sheds or play houses. I see them all the time. Free wood!

I tihink it depends how much physical exertion you are prepared for. I climb up and down a flight of stairs at my house multiple times per day, so a chicken coop ladder is not that big of a deal in comparison. You can also be smart about it to save yourself from doing too much work. If you put the nest boxes near the door, you can reach in without climbing all the way up. Usually I just climb up 2 or 3 rungs on the ladder, which is enough to get my head over the top and look inside. I only go all the way up there maybe once per week.

Back
Top Bottom