Trees next to run? I want to tell my husband he is wrong

Pics
I want to plant fruit trees next or near my chicken run to help provide shade for the run and protection when free ranging. My husband thinks the fruits trees will give the hawks somewhere to hide and hunt. Pro or Con having fruit trees next to or near chicken run.
I don't know necessarily about hawks in fruit trees, I feel like they generally prefer higher nesting grounds.

You will likely get a higher concentration of rodents (mice, rabbits, rats) eating the fruit off the ground along with increased insect activity.

I'll be Switzerland. You both have valid arguments. If shade is your primary goal, I would go with a vine or shrub. A fruit tree will take 10 years to throw enough shade to be beneficial.
I'll have to look into some vines that last through the fall! Thank you
I don't know necessarily about hawks in fruit trees, I feel like they generally prefer higher nesting grounds.

You will likely get a higher concentration of rodents (mice, rabbits, rats) eating the fruit off the ground along with increased insect activity.
We already have a mouse issue. I have been fighting it from the beginning. I'm not worried about them at this point.

At the risk of suggesting compromise ... I recommend you investigate espalier pruning apple/pear trees. (not my picture)

IMG_1400.JPG

Woodbridge Fruit Trees used to have a great how-to write up ... dubbed 'Bob Magnus's KNNN Espalier system' (... their website seems to be having some issues, so I won't link to it.) It's really fairly simple.

If I get a chance I'll post a picture of my pear trees.

Back
Top Bottom