Trees next to run? I want to tell my husband he is wrong

I want to plant fruit trees next or near my chicken run to help provide shade for the run and protection when free ranging. My husband thinks the fruits trees will give the hawks somewhere to hide and hunt. Pro or Con having fruit trees next to or near chicken run.
Is the run covered? If so its a none issue. 2-inch chicken wire mess won't keep out racoons, but it will stop hawks and owls. Light and easy to install.

In Wyoming's high altitude sun, some days I find my entire flock under my car, looking for shade. The sun is every day; the hawks are a rare occurrence

I want to plant fruit trees next or near my chicken run to help provide shade for the run and protection when free ranging. My husband thinks the fruits trees will give the hawks somewhere to hide and hunt. Pro or Con having fruit trees next to or near chicken run.
Hi, this is a great idea! Hawks keep to dead parts of trees usually high as they can get. Also chicken can eat fallen fruit and any delicious bug around. Your husband IS wrong. You go girl!

I would never plant any trees near the run due to hawks and other dangerous birds. However low bushes they can hide under is a great idea.

I would never plant trees because of Hawks and other predator birds. It would be better in my thoughts to plant bushes the chickens can hide under.

I think you are both right: it's
I think you are both right: trees are important for shade, wind protection and aesthetics but can also provide a handy place for predatory birds to rub their dastardly wings together. We used bailing twine strung from the run fence to the roof of the coop about 6 inches apart. We've had hawks and owls perch nearby, but they've never gone in.

Live in a National Forest which I can't see for the trees.. My run is right under some, like I have a choice.. and no I am not getting out the chainsaw. Hawks and Eagles are almost an everyday occurrence.. One even perched on top of the run.. Just sat there looking around for other prey, knew he/she couldn't get the chickens. Chickens know and run for the coop.. Netting, netting, netting, even keeps out the coons.. Don't think they like the springy effect.. Have at it. Bees knees are protein too.. and fruit is Garden of Eden sinful, delicious!

I planted a semi-dwarf peach on west side of coop, since coop is metal - wrong choice, I know - BUT tree helped with sun - since it's grown quickly and fruit drop is non-existent since I pick quickly - and I had hawk last yr that grabbed one of my girls - I had taken one of my tarps down - my n'bor scared off hawk and I rehung tarp - and my girl was ok, just lost a few feathers and her dignity - i have a tarp on either side of coop in their run and bird netting where there are any gaps - i think it's a great idea - sun can be a killer for those lovely girls - they definitely need shade - good luck - and think of the fruit you'll gain--can't believe my peaches - with all that organic chicken poop - they're sooooo juicy

I see no harm in fruit trees next to the run.
We have a variety of fruit trees around our coop and run and have not noticed any increase of problems with it. They free range at times and like to nibble on fruit that has fallen. We already have mice and rats and trap many through the year. We watch for flying prey and keep them in the run at those times. (with roof). Raccoons and other ground varmints are more of a problem but not because of the fruit trees.

Back
Top Bottom