Trees next to run? I want to tell my husband he is wrong

I have an apricot tree in my chicken run. It is great in the summer and provides lot's of shade and protection. However, in the winter there are open spots even though I have put chicken wire across much of the pen. I have lost a hen or town to hawks over the years but it is very rare. The down side to having the apricot in the pen is that it needs a lot of pruning each year and being in the pen makes if hard to prune.

Someone may have already mentioned Backyard Orchard Culture as a way of keeping the fruit trees at a more desirable size. If not, check out the Dave Wilson Nursery website for articles and videos how to. We've been doing it for seven years. Our chickens free range under our orchard trees ( we have 25 in a 20 x 50 foot space).

I live in 'the woods' and the chicken house and runs are under oak trees. I know the shade is critical in the summer. We have lots of hawks and eagles in the sky but the trees help hide the birds somewhat when free ranging. The run has heavy wire on the top. They run under cedars and other shrubs when worried about a flying predator when free ranging. Trees near the chickens are a help. The birds of prey are flying circles up high looking for prey to swoop down on. I restrict the time they are free ranging to when I and the dogs can be watchful. They have a big run so free ranging is an option and not necessary.

I want to plant fruit trees next or near my chicken run to help provide shade for the run and protection when free ranging. My husband thinks the fruits trees will give the hawks somewhere to hide and hunt. Pro or Con having fruit trees next to or near chicken run.
I have three peach trees in the fenced area where my chickens get to free range. I don’t have any issues with hawks hanging out in the trees. The area is pretty shaded. My trees came up from seeds and peelings that I had thrown out when I was doing peach preserves.

I want to plant fruit trees next or near my chicken run to help provide shade for the run and protection when free ranging. My husband thinks the fruits trees will give the hawks somewhere to hide and hunt. Pro or Con having fruit trees next to or near chicken run.
The orchard is exactly where my girls free range all day. When a hawk tried to attack, it could not fly away with the hen and still watch for branches. Dropped the hen and I have not had any loss since, going on 10 years.

I don’t think trees attract hawks, your chickens do. A place to hide or cover for them helps. The hawks already know where your chickens are.

I'll have to look into some vines that last through the fall! Thank you

We already have a mouse issue. I have been fighting it from the beginning. I'm not worried about them at this point.
I agree with Switzerland fruit trees will take time but Plant one anyways, In a few years you will start getting fruit, Bushes are good to have all over your property. It gives them a place to hide, if a predator bird comes around. I have free range chickens and lots of bushes

I don’t think that setup will bring the shade she is looking for.
That's what makes espaliers great ... you can make them any way you like. (again, not my pictures)
Pear2.jpg
picture-apple-trees-172562-9686289.jpg
PearArbour1.jpg

The one side of our run has Norwegian Christmas trees growing. They do give shade for the girls. However we find the raccoons use them to climb down into the run. They use the branches to reach the fence and then down they go. They usually do this at night when the girls are locked up, but have seen them during the day also. I suppose every situation is different.

Back
Top Bottom