Trees that are okay to plant in/around horse pasture

What do you guys think of.. I think they're daylilies, they're orange, with black spots on the petals, and they grow like crazy at the edge of the road... are they okay for horses? I was thinking of taking cuttings from the ones behind our house and planting them down the sides of the driveway. Are lilies okay?

Quote:
ooo fantastic, I just want to run them down my driveway because its all oak and some aspen, and its a little boring and they grow like weeds here.

Daylilies (NOT REGULAR LILIES -- just DAYlilies) are quite safe around horses. Indeed they are edible to humans too -- the buds, dried, are the 'dried lily buds' in chinese groceries and hot and sour soup
smile.png

Pat

I would just make sure they can get a good bit of sun, and not too much in the shade of the oaks. Also under oaks the soil can get a bit on the acidic side so you'll have to see how they do there before you plant loads of them. Maybe transplant a test bunch and see if they thrive ok? Right under the oaks also would get minimal water too since the trees tend to shelter the area from the rain, so I would be sure they are far enough from the trees to get a nice soaking when it rains. But if you have sprinklers anyway that last part wouldn't really matter.

Nah, those feral orange daylilies are TOUGH. They will bloom in nearly full shade, very dry soil, acid, alkaline, salty, whatever - you name it. They do *better* with nicey-nicey garden conditions but they most certainly do not need it. In fact if they are too happy they can start taking over the world, so there is something to be said for keeping them in less than perfect places
wink.png

Pat

Just a reminder. Maple leaves are usually just fine, but if they eat alot of them it can cause anemia.

Quote:
gig.gif
I have two apple trees, they're VERY low to the ground, I dunno if you get larger ones... my chickens LOVE bathing under the apple trees - its so cool under there!

Back
Top Bottom