Triage classes? Do they exist? How can I learn more?

Rodster

Chirping
11 Years
Jul 24, 2011
Tampa Bay, Florida
Hi.
I still have the problem of a severely dehydrated bird that I hope makes it through the night. tomorrow i will seek out someone to help, but my question is this. Since so many of us here have no access to a cheap vet and there are so many of us in each general area, how difficult or dum would it be to host or find a seminar or week end class on emergency triage for our flocks? I know right now it's closing the door after the horse is gone, but there will be another horse. do i really need to take vetinary class to learn the basics or can someone point me in the right direction of learning more with a more hands on approach? i am now very seriously contemplating taking some form of a course, but i don't know where to start, nor how far to go. i am tired of watching animals within my grasp suffer because i don't know the basics and i'd like to fix that. i want to learn how to tube feed, give injections, and handle critical care needs in an orderly fashion rather then the hope and pray method.

I suddenly find myself with a huge amount of birds and no where near enough planning for so many possible complications. A crash course in chicken triage, nursing and flock manegement would be SO nice right about now.
Maybe tomorrow I will look into what it takes to become a vet. Until then, I'm open to idea's and would love to start a movement for all byc-ers to learn the basics BEFORE needing it, like where i am now.
hmm.png

I hope your chick is doing better today. I , second, the suggestion....would love a series of weekend or evening classes. Too bad we are all spread out throughout the country and even overseas. Maybe we can get the large sponsors to formulate a traveling series of classes for chicken-loving people, kind of like, Mother Earth News does.

Thanks everyone,
Patty expired at 4:30 am monday morning. she was resting comfortable and peacefully as she went through her illness and i know she had more love and respect while a bumbling idiot tried everything in the book then most poor chickens could ever hope for. Vetrinary school is looking better and better. Definately learned a LOT!

I read tons of the posts in this section and copy parts of the answers to help me learn and be able to spot potential problems. I have really learned so much by doing this. Observation of your birds and knowing them well enough to spot problems as soon as they start makes a big difference in success with treating them. After that the two things to do first are to check for lice/mites and possibly worms and if not that then you start posting for help here.
sharon

Back
Top Bottom