Trick to get your hens to lay

urbancountrygal

Songster
8 Years
Apr 28, 2011
Clovis
For those of you who have hens that are of age to lay I was told a secret. The guy I am friends with at the pet store said that his mother in law who is Mexican had a trick to get hens to lay everyday. Dried red chili crushed up and sprinkle a little on their food. He said he didn't believe it until he tried it. He said his hens where laying everyday something twice!!! My girls are only 12 wks so I haven't tried this out just thought I would share:) And he said you don't have to do it everyday. He just did it for 2 days and they where go after that. Anyway try it out and let me know how it works for you. I'd be interested to hear back!

I've heard of that but I have never tried it. BTW hens don't lay 2 eggs a day. It's a 25 hour cycle. Crushed red pepper is what I've heard . It wouldn't hurt to try it. Good luck.

They actually can lay two a day, it's just really rare... I have one hen that did it once, right before she went broody. Just sayin'!
smile.png

Seeing as how this info has been repeated in many, many threads, it's not much of a secret
big_smile.png
I, for one, don't believe it. I don't care how many people swear it's true. And I'm not one to force my girls into laying more- they work hard enough as it is. If their bodies need a break, whether it's skipping a day every once in a while, to not laying as much during the winter, then I think they deserve it.

It seems like the same old wives tale that a pregnant woman should eat spicy food to go into labor. I tried that when I was pregnant and I suffered the worst heart burn ever! I'd feel bad giving spicy food to my birds. Poor chickens, they'll lay when they are ready.

Back
Top Bottom