Tricking a rooster to crow later

I have a neighbor that gets up at 0300hrs. His roosters starts, then mine will start. Bout ready to check my freezer on space.

I must have very good windows. I know my boy crows. He starts when I open the coop up at 6 am. He usually does it a few times till all the ladies are down off the roosts. But I have never heard him crow while I was inside my house. I work midnights so I sleep during the day, my bedroom window faces the chicken coop, yet I don't get woke up by him. I was talking to my neighbor tonight. He asked how the "chicken farming was going" I said good and asked if they are bothering him at all. I told him the rooster was crowing now in the morning, he even told me he doesn't hear a thing. Maybe its because my boy is still a teenager (13 Weeks), do they get louder as they age?

I guess on a side note, I found out my neighbor doesn't mind me having chickens. After all I am one of those rebels who figure its better to ask forgiveness than permission.

Can this be done?
Is is dependent on daylight?

I enjoy the sound but wish her would do it later that 5:30 every morning. Weekdays are not a problem for me (don't know yet about neighbors, no complaints yet!
big_smile.png
) but I would like to sleep in a little on the weekends if possible.

thanks
Chris
Found the following excerpt online:

Blackout box: this is a completely darkened enclosure in which the rooster sleeps by himself. While it will help minimise nightly disturbances, and thus unexpected crowing, it is unlikely to stop the morning crow, since this relies on an internal biological clock, and not on the sun itself. A better strategy is to hack the biological clock using artificial lighting in combination with a blackout box setup. After sundown, leave the artificial light inside the box on until later (say, 10pm). Over a few days, the artificial light should trick your rooster into crowing later in the morning. An 8am wakeup is well within reach!
Can this be done?
Is is dependent on daylight?

I enjoy the sound but wish her would do it later that 5:30 every morning. Weekdays are not a problem for me (don't know yet about neighbors, no complaints yet!
big_smile.png
) but I would like to sleep in a little on the weekends if possible.

thanks
Chris

I figured though nothing ventured nothing gained. Might be worth experimenting
Have seen a few try the 'dark box'.....but really,
the only way to keep a rooster from crowing, is to remove it's head :gig
But, hey, if you give the technique you posted a try,
start thread on it...many would be very interested.

My RIR White rooster usually crowed around 7/7:30am, time change happened and it was 5:30am for a week and now it’s 4:30am. How can I get him back to 7/7:30? Anytime before that is way too early and it’s usually dark out still.

Back
Top Bottom