tricks of the trade

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by missourichickenmama, Sep 29, 2008.

1. missourichickenmama

missourichickenmama SURPRISE!

Jul 17, 2008
    Missouri
    O.K. here it is, do you have a tip to share, a trick to tell? or do you have a chicken myth you need to bust? put it here!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    The more you pay for a bird the quicker it will get sick and die!
    Or is that Murphys law of averages? And who in the heck is Murphy anyway? [​IMG]

3. timbofarms

timbofarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Humboldt/West TN
    Quote:thats funny sand true:lau

4. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Hey, thats true of hatching eggs as well, the more you pay for them the less likely they will develop![​IMG]
    Another myth, chickens are not good fliers...

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:That's what YOU think!!!! Just ask all the people who have had to throw shoes at their chicken in trees. [​IMG]

6. holliewould

holliewould Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    Here's a tip: Don't ever give that hen treats after she lays her egg. She won't shut up until you finally come out there. Even if that means you're gone while she laid it, she will raise hades the entire time. My neighbors told me so. Pffft.

7. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    LOL, thats why I said it was a "myth"! I have seen chickens that werent supposed to fly go right over the fences designed to keep them in.[​IMG]

8. missourichickenmama

missourichickenmama SURPRISE!

Jul 17, 2008
    Missouri
    my chickens like to dig dust baths, to keep them from digging up the yard too much i encourage them to use the same dust baths, i take a hoe and chop up the hard, dry earth.

to keep them from getting mites i add new dirt and ashes weekly. don't know if this was necessary, but i don't want to take the chance and wake up with lice.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by