Tricks on how to get Chicks up the Stairs?

@WhySayWhat @aart @BDutch
Guess what??? - Six of the Eight, went up the stairs on their own tonight.. Up, up, and into their safe little Coop! YAY! I’m such a Proud Chicken Mom right now…

There where Two Roo’s that couldn’t do it yet. Bless their Hearts! They would flap their little wings at the Base of the Stairs, like if they wished Hard enough, they would be Magically lifted up inside too. So, I went right in to help, it was the Cutest thing, they willing walked into my hands right away like they just knew I’d help them up.

As far as things I did to help:
I added an extra light. I used treats moderately. Spent extra time with them sitting in the Coop. — We never got around to the extra ramp, when they decided to suddenly start using the stairs. I’m thinking we will do this anyway because those stairs are a bit too steep and I’d feel more comfortable doing so…

thanks again everyone!! ♥️🙏🏼
Your ramp isn't nearly as long as mine, but try putting your stubborned roos half way up or close to the top and don't let them go down - that may help them 'get it' and get their fluffy butts the rest of the way up the ramp on their own.

Your ramp isn't nearly as long as mine, but try putting your stubborned roos half way up or close to the top and don't let them go down - that may help them 'get it' and get their fluffy butts the rest of the way up the ramp on their own.
Excellent idea; that’s what I’ve been doing, and I’ve noticed that they are getting a bit “better” every evening. I think they’ll have it together real soon! — It’s too cute; one of the girls comes back down every evening and shows them how she goes up, apparently she really wants them to get it too!! 😹

Omlet sells a light that hooks right into their automatic door that works great and turns on and off using the timer of the door. It works great and is similar in cost to other battery-powered timed light options: https://www.backyardchickens.com/reviews/omlet-coop-light.12053/. I have both the Omlet door and light but not the coop.
Thank you for bringing this up. We do actually have the Omlet Coop light. — The light only comes on for 2 minutes before the auto door is scheduled to close and these Babies need a lot more time than that. I couldn’t for the life of me figure out how to use the light on an “as needed basis” so I ended up using a battery operated light that I had on-hand which has a remote to it and I use that instead. I turn it on about an hour before dark and turn it off once their in for the night.

Excellent idea; that’s what I’ve been doing, and I’ve noticed that they are getting a bit “better” every evening. I think they’ll have it together real soon! — It’s too cute; one of the girls comes back down every evening and shows them how she goes up, apparently she really wants them to get it too!! 😹
I found that with mine too. My ramps were a bit too steep early on and I underestimated how 'scared of heights' a silkie can be. They really need that easier slope. I added two wooden blocks under the base to ease it a bit.

She was raised with her 3 shaver sisters and it took her at least 3 weeks longer than them to get up to our waist-high coop on her own, if I remember correctly. Sorry, it was 3 years ago. The good thing is she was great at teaching chicks how to use those ramps, though she's always been my own silkie. Might need to add a second so I have a new broody. You really cant beat silkies for that motherly instinct.

I have some 8wk old Silkies in their Omlet Coop. But they aren’t getting the trick of going up the stairs to Roost at night. So, there I am at Dusk/Dark crawling in there to wrangle them up the stairs to get them safe & warm for the Night. - There’s a little coop light in there to attract them. I even stuck Hand warmers in there to make to more Warm & Toasty for them… (over on the nesting side, away from them) … Do I just keep up with this nightly wrestle until it finally “clicks” for them?
Have you considered making a temporary ramp for them? We have just sat up a new Omlet and run but our babies are only a couple of weeks old so it will be quite awhile before they will go outside. We will be making a ramp for use until they are old enough to "figure it out" I'm thinking a minimum of 12 weeks, probably older. My husband has been using his engineering skills to design a watering system and feed system to keep us from having to go inside this little run. A current work in progress but it is shaping up to be a nice little abode for the girls.

Have you considered making a temporary ramp for them? We have just sat up a new Omlet and run but our babies are only a couple of weeks old so it will be quite awhile before they will go outside. We will be making a ramp for use until they are old enough to "figure it out" I'm thinking a minimum of 12 weeks, probably older. My husband has been using his engineering skills to design a watering system and feed system to keep us from having to go inside this little run. A current work in progress but it is shaping up to be a nice little abode for the girls.
Yes! That’s what we did and they loved it. Those stairs were just too intimidating and steep for them. I did have to go in there for 3-4 nights straight to help them/show them all up into the Eglu coop area until they finally got the hang of it. — It was kinda funny all the girls caught on pretty quick, it was the three Roos we had at the time who needed extra help…
— Boys, huh?! Ha! 🥰🤪

Back
Top Bottom