tricks to reduce rooster crowing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by leelyndal, Oct 18, 2008.

1. leelyndal

leelyndal New Egg

Aug 12, 2008
    Atlanta
    Anyone have any non-surgical tricks to reduce rooster crowing in the mornings?
    henry

2. Alpha Roo

Alpha Roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    Apple Valley, CA
    [​IMG]

3. Alpha Roo

Alpha Roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    Apple Valley, CA
    Keep it dark in the morning and use lighting in the evening. Maybe

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    The only proven solution to your problem is to get rid of the rooster.

I love hearing a rooster crow.

5. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    An insulated coop helps reduce the sound quite a bit (altho in summer, it's not as helpful because windows are open...). If possible, don't let the birds outside till 8 a.m. or after, the generally accepted time for noises like lawn mowers to get in gear. I also start their day out with sunflower and other seeds scattered about which keeps my sweet roo busy for awhile even after he is let out of the coop.
    I love the sound of a roo's crow and only wish those with relentlessly barking dogs all over the neighborhood felt the same way.
    JJ

6. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    I used to have a banty roo in my living room. Everything I done to make it stop made it worse.

7. Ms. Lewis Rich

Ms. Lewis Rich Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    I was moving pens in my bird room and saw I had crushed my Serama rooster inbetween two of them. He has never crowed again just air sounds.

8. chiknwhisperer

chiknwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Lowell, IN
    Ms. Lewis Rich :

I was moving pens in my bird room and saw I had crushed my Serama rooster inbetween two of them. He has never crowed again just air sounds.

I don't know if I should laugh or not. It sounds funny as heck though. I guess thats one way to stop him. At least he is still alive [​IMG] Mine doesn't stop except for when he is sleeping and then he snores. It sounds like a song bird lol.​

9. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I just posted this on another thread:

I think the amount of crowing generally has to do with the individual rooster personality. My BO roo and my RIR rooster crowed minimally.

Also, my hens and roos all free-range all over the farm every day, so they're often too busy doing "stuff" to spend a lot of time crowing. IMHO, the happier the bird and the more space they have and the more they tire themselves out free-ranging, the less they crow. Also, I generally keep few roos which may keep them from feeling competitive with other roos and thus crowing more.

Others may have other opinions on this, but I think free-ranging keep them quieter.

10. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    my rooster cut down his crowing when i got rid of the other 2 roosters but he still does it when ever he wants. Sometimes I think hes talking to me. He crows when his best girl gets out or when I pick her up, he crows when i go into HIS coop and mostly he crows when he feels like it. I havent found any way to slow it down but Im in the category of people who think its not a farm without a crowing rooster. If my neighbor complains then I will complain about all the noise they make

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by