Tricky BR---Pullet or Rooster? Please Help!

WoodinvilleChicken

Hatching
10 Years
Oct 27, 2009
We adopted this little BR chicken a month ago and now I'm concerned that "Miss Moneypenny" may not be a girl after all
barnie.gif

Can you help? I'm confused about the feather patterns.

43600_img_0636.jpg

43600_img_0638.jpg

43600_img_0634.jpg

Thank you!

Last edited:
Coloration of feathers and legs is female. However, in the first pic it looks like you can see some saddle feathers coming down before the tail. So maybe a female colored male??? Do you know how old? Could you take some more pics of her from the side and from above perhaps?

Hi there,

She/He is about 13 weeks old. Very dark in color and just such a nice little chicken. I'll hate to rehome him, but there is no way in our little suburban neighborhood that we could keep a roo. I'll see if I can get another picture uploaded from the top.

Sorry that is a rooster! Saddle feathers give it away. Yes, it's very dark for a BR male, however, I had some Silver Phoenix roo over BR hen cockerels who looked just like that. I really thought they were pure BR pullets with faded barring, till the comb got red way too early.

Oh, how sad and disappointing
sad.png
Second time this year. Well thank you very much for letting me know, better to find a home for him now than get even more attached!

You get very dark males when you outcross to non-barred birds. Males dark like that carry only a single barring gene, hence darker rather than the pretty, lighter and more sharply barred, double gened Roos.

Right now I get a lot of those, makes it simple to cull. Oh look - barred, dark, boy... meat pen.

Back
Top Bottom