tried something new for dinner tonight, it was yummy! quinoa

kari_dawn

Songster
10 Years
Nov 2, 2009
North Texas
Lamb leg steak, quinoa, and string beans! Never had quinoa or lamb leg steaks, but they are awesome! I usually have couscous with lamb, but tried quinoa instead. Boiled it in chicken stock. it was super yummy!

For those others of you (like me) who have not tried quinoa before, it is a complete protien high in manganese and magnesium and other good for you stuff. The texture reminds me of fish roe....and it seems to be fairly flavor neutral, and takes on other flavors well. Anyone else have good recipes with quinoa I can try?
droolin.gif

Last edited:
I have always used it as a breakfast meal using it like you would oatmeal by adding in some fruits or a bit of preserves. Amaranth(sp) and millet are also good grains.

oooh I will have to try that! I have been looking for amarynth, but have not purchased any yet...can you boil it with the quinoa for breakfast "oatmeal"?

Quinoa is definitely tasty stuff! I have a hard time finding it locally, now, but when I used to live by a Whole Foods, I'd buy it from the bulk bins (with other lovely grains, legumes, dried fruits, etc. LOVED that place). Glad you enjoyed it!

It is vital to someone who is vegetarian or vegan, since as you already said, it is a complete grain with all essential amino acids.

I got mine in bulk from a Sprouts Farmers Market near my house...I love that place! ^.^ Amazon also has some sellers for quinoa, but it is kindof expensive, and I didn't want to buy a lot just incase I did not appreciate it's flavor.

This is the cheapest on I found on a quick search on amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Arrowhead-Mil...MPCI/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1326129330&sr=8-7

The other sellers are charging alot more.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom