Trim off the tail?

fatimastic

Songster
Aug 26, 2020
Pakistan
My 3 months old English Fantail has a weird posture. After observing her for a month, I think it is because of her tail. Her tail bends so much that it reaches her head and to see she has to bend down. Since she is in a growing stage I am scared that it will affect her growth. When she is outside, she has to bring her neck in between her tail feathers. Like her face is peeking outside of her tail. Look at how she is bending.

Can i trim off the vane of the 3 feathers that tease her?

Attachments

• 20210803_140421.jpg
    20210803_140421.jpg
    391.5 KB · Views: 51
My 3 months old English Fantail has a weird posture. After observing her for a month, I think it is because of her tail. Her tail bends so much that it reaches her head and to see she has to bend down. Since she is in a growing stage I am scared that it will affect her growth. When she is outside, she has to bring her neck in between her tail feathers. Like her face is peeking outside of her tail. Look at how she is bending.

Can i trim off the vane of the 3 feathers that tease her?
I looked up pictures, and their tails are supposed to do that. It shouldn't affect her growth as far as I know, but trimming will affect her flight until she molts the trimmed ones and grows new ones.
The tail feathers don't really bother her, that's just the way she is made unless your absolutely sure that it is affecting her in some way, I wouldn't trim.

Are any of the other pigeons you have postured same way???
I don't have any fantail pigeons, but most that I seen , the tail does not seem to be as much bent forward as your pigeons'..
This can be a genetic occurrence, or happened from inbreeding activities long term. :idunno I just don't know for sure.

You can trim the feathers if you think they interfere with pigeons movement. I would first try to possibly gather the tail feathers into 2 parts and secure with a rubber-band short term. See if it makes a difference. Remove rubber bands, and observe and compare activity.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:

English fantails are suppose to be like that
I own them too and that is how they are
Are any of the other pigeons you have postured same way???
I don't have any fantail pigeons, but most that I seen , the tail does not seem to be as much bent forward as your pigeons'..
This can be a genetic occurrence, or happened from inbreeding activities long term. :idunno I just don't know for sure.

You can trim the feathers if you think they interfere with pigeons movement. I would first try to possibly gather the tail feathers into 2 parts and secure with a rubber-band short term. See if it makes a difference. Remove rubber bands, and observe and compare activity.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:
I looked up pictures, and their tails are supposed to do that. It shouldn't affect her growth as far as I know, but trimming will affect her flight until she molts the trimmed ones and grows new ones.
The tail feathers don't really bother her, that's just the way she is made unless your absolutely sure that it is affecting her in some way, I wouldn't trim.
I ended up trimming the sides of the 2 featherd that affected her the most. I only trimmed a little bit so that she could at least fit her head through and look around. She is now feeling a lot open and better!

Thank you for the replies!!

Back
Top Bottom