Trimmed beaks

Terrim

Hatching
May 31, 2020
We just bought six hens from a local hatchery. We are first timers with chickens. We discovered the hens beaks have all been trimmed. It was our plan to have these hens be free rangers in our garden (they do have a wonderful new coop to spend the night in.) Will these hens ever be able to benefit from free ranging, eating bugs and weeds, etc, with trimmed beaks? I am so sad about this situation and had no idea, despite all my reading and prep for their arrival, that this practice is common.

Welcome to BYC. I have a duck with a severely deformed bill and he manages to forage just fine, so I bet your chickens will to. :hugs

We just bought six hens from a local hatchery. We are first timers with chickens. We discovered the hens beaks have all been trimmed. It was our plan to have these hens be free rangers in our garden (they do have a wonderful new coop to spend the night in.) Will these hens ever be able to benefit from free ranging, eating bugs and weeds, etc, with trimmed beaks? I am so sad about this situation and had no idea, despite all my reading and prep for their arrival, that this practice is common.
Welcome to BYC! That is one reason many here have chickens, the way hatchery egg layers are treated. The top point is cut off when they are hatched. It is to keep them from pecking each other when they are so closely confined. They might not be as good at picking things up. Watch them when they are eating, make sure you are giving them food that they can eat. They will still enjoy scratching in the garden! Good for you for giving them a second chance.:)

I got ready to lay pullets from Moyers once & they had moderately trimmed beaks. It never stopped them from eating or drawing blood on each other's butt at one point.

Back
Top Bottom