Trimmed my chickens cross beak

Buff-Island-Australorp

Songster
8 Years
Apr 1, 2011
Bixby, OK
I took a pair of shears and trimmed back my Black Australorps top beak. She has major cross beak. Her top was curled down so far, it started to look like a hawks beak. It bled a little bit and I felt pretty bad. The other chickens immediately jumped all over her and started harrasing her. I had to leave for my son's baseball game, and couldn't really help her out. I really felt bad then.
I just recently got home, went out to check on them, and they were all sitting on the top roost, sleeping. She was on the very end, but they weren't messing with her anymore and she stopped bleeding.
I'm not sure if I did the right thing, but I felt like it was the right thing to do in order to help her open her mouth wider. I just wish I would have waited until I had more time to possibly separate her afterwards until the bleeding stopped.
Guess I'll know more tomorrow.
It sucks to feel like I did the right thing, but may have made the situation worse, and possibly made a poor decision.

I'm really not sure but if it bled, could be that you've cut it enough for the trim to be permanent like when they dub layer's beaks in a battery hen situation. Glad she didn't bleed to death! If you have any bleed like that you can put cornstarch or flour on there to stop the bleeding and it would have been best to separate her for a day or so but sounds like they worked it out and she's on her way now.

If it was so bad she had problems eating then I think you may have done the only thing you COULD do for her. We aren't perfect and it's ok to make mistakes. I feel bad every time I trim the rabbits or cats claws and take too much. It doesn't happen often but now and then I clip a bit too far and they bleed. I stop it up with styptic powder and try to calm their nerves and give them a treat for enduring my mistake. I'm sure she'll be great soon.

Back
Top Bottom