Trimmed my horse too short

So while I was waiting I was spending time with Rosie. My Dad even noticed how tender she was walking. We hung out by her for a long time then at 6 Dad left and I got brush and was shedding out Rosie. A car crashed and she could barely jump about it. So, when Lydia showed up, Rosie was just fine. Good length, nice and dry, not too soft not too hard, no sign of anything bad going on. And guess what she could walk just fine. She was crossing legs on turn and just being fine. So I feel like a fool. I kept thinking she was ok but at the same time it was scaring me. When I showed her the piece that had been trimmed off, she agreed that it was long and so maybe it is her ankle that are a little sore cuz she was long. Its only been 6 weeks but she just grew a lot this time I guess. So no worry. Even as Lydia was leaving Rosie started trotting. I haven't seen her run around for two days. It is past her dinner time so she was getting ansy, but at least she is moving! phewwwwwwwww She's going to be fine!
yippiechickie.gif

my mare has terrible feet. we were working barrel the other day and she started limping! my rock-hard, tough as nails mare was limping! i dont know what you should do...i can barely figure out my girl's hoof troubles..

I am new here, and have never had foot problems thus far (knock on wood) with my mustang, who has always been barefoot, but wanted to chime in to say that a lot of times there are reasonably priced used boots on endurance.net in the classifieds. Probably because they are so hard to fit. I got my Old Mac's there for super cheap, barely used. There is a fitting guide on http://www.easycareinc.com/. Different boots fit different shaped hoofs and it tells you where and how to measure and then matches the brands to your horses foot. I had a hard time finding boots for my guy because he has giant round feet instead of the standard little bitty oval one found on most horses today.

Hope your mare feels better soon, sounds like she already is. I have heard of mixing venice turpintine and iodine together to toughen up hooves.

We keep shoes on our guys year round, but our older gelding will often limp after getting shod because of the way the farrier holds his hooves. I guess it's just too high for him and his muscles stiffen. He usually limps for a day after and then goes back to normal. I've never had a horse trimmed too short, but I've had problems with barefoot horses. All that did was give my mare an abscess.

She's not trimmed too short, and the angle is good and her feet are healthy and all. I guess she is just a little sore because her feet had grown sooo much this past 6 weeks. I've really noticed it for the past two weeks that she was needing a trim and with all the recent mud and stuff, she is just a little tender. I am glad to have the reassurance from a second opinion, to ease my fear. I probably did freak out just a little too much. I kept thinking she was going to be ok, but it is so hard to see them walk tender like that, especially since I just went through it 6 months ago with my other horse going lame on me. It was hard watching that. I have been putting iodine on her feet. By the time some one got here to check her out she was walking much better. All that attention I was giving her. Hanging out, brushing, cleaning feet, made her feel much better I guess. She just wanted attention, hee hee. Then she started trotting around. So, maybe they don't even believe me now that she was so sore. Oh well, I'll see how she is tomorrow. But i feel relieved.

IBPBoo
clap.gif
- glad she's better! Sorry about the navicular. That is a horrible thing to go through. Anything concerning legs and hooves - ufffff-da.

There are a bunch of used boots listed on the Bay Area Equestrian Network, too.

It's always interesting to hear everyone's opinions. Pat, I'd love to see or hear more about how a duct tape boot is put together using denim - that could come in really handy some day.

I also realized that I should be practicing putting my 2 y.o. into a stall and working on the amount of time she will tolerate it. That will be good to work on over summer.

Sweetshoplady, I also believe horses can be claustrophobic. We ended up not being able to keep my Arab on stall rest because she runs in the stall. Even when her foal was in with her, she was completely distraught. Though if the gate is open, she'll stand in there all day. SIGH.

Cheers,
Michelle

Quote:
I hope your mare is feeling better. How old is she? Do you compete on her? I a trail rider, plain ole backyard horse person, like a BYC person!!
smile.png

Quote:
This is probably something like what happened, just a little sore from holding up her feet and getting trimmed. And then the length was long even though she had been trimmed 6 weeks ago, just had a lot of growth. I guess even just a couple weeks of a little too long can affect how they walk around. I am always so concerned about the feet because they are so important, luckily, knock on wood, I have never had to deal with an abscess. I have almost always kept my horses barefoot. Hearing that other people occasionally get a sore horse after a farrier visit makes me feel a little better, it is a normal thing that happens sometimes I suppose. thanks

Back
Top Bottom