Trimmed my horse too short

Quote:
Oh the mustang! yes my favorite! Did you adopt yours? I was lucky enough to have owned two a different times. I was not the original adopter with either one, but the second owner. My first mustang turned out to be the best horse. I rode him everywhere. I could even had one child on the front and one child on the back and away we would go. I could ride him into town, through the horse parade, through artichoke fields, up to the sprinklers in the fields, on the beach, along the road, he was great! My second mustang was a different story. He had been abused and was very scared of people, especially if you had anything in your hand. He tried attacking me once when I had a bucket of grain. He thought I was going to beat him with it. He was afraid of it and shook. It took me awhile, but I brought him around, even rode him through the parade with all those people on the sides of the street with hats and all kinds of things! The he started turning on me and I could not figure out what I was doing wrong. It was horrid, why was he so mean. Well, he started having convulsions and stumbling and all kinds of weird stuff. I ended up having to put him down because I felt I was watching him die and the vet said you are making the right decision. He took the brain at no charge, which I am really glad, because the poor horse had a golf ball size tumor growing in his brain. I had always thought the horse had a headache. So it wasn't me after all, it was all the pain he was in. But for a couple years he was a really great horse, never took my children on him though.

Well, I was out there at 4am checking on my horse. She was still laying down, so I got to spend time with her laying down which is cool. I brushed her and talked to her, then she decided to get up. She got up just fine, followed me around a bit, I brushed her some more and she followed me to the barn to get her breakfast. It was the first time I actually got to mess with her while she was laying down cuz I usually don't go out there till 5am. So all is fine, and I guess it was just a little session of soreness after a trim, although I hadn't had that happen before. This is the 4th time I've had her trimmed since I got her her Sept. So I am thinking it was just because she may have been a little soft from the winter mud and the hooves had grown so long this past 6 weeks. Thank you to everyone for your advice. I have new ideas now too! I think my farrier was great for sending someone out so quickly to address my concerns and I am going to thank him today!

Quote:
I hope your mare is feeling better. How old is she? Do you compete on her? I a trail rider, plain ole backyard horse person, like a BYC person!!
smile.png

yeah, we jump and do contesting. she's sick fast for a fat girl!
lau.gif

Yes, I adopted my mustang almost 4 years ago as a 3 year old stud colt. I think I got an easy one because he was basically my first horse and turned out alright. He is a good boy, very laid back. Rather quirky, but we are used to each other so I don't realize all of his wierdos until I am trying to explain to someone else about riding or caring for him. We just trail ride, I call him my little bulldozer because he will bushwack through anything. He is short, but build like a tank- huge leg bones and feet.

Very cool that you had mustangs too, and thumbs up for rescuing and abused one! Glad your mare is feeling better. It is fun to be with them when they are laying down, except my two when it is cold in the winter and I have to take blankets off at 5:45 am before going to work won't get up so I can take them off, lol. I have to sit on their backs with my heels in the ground and rock them until they are annoyed enough to get up, sounds funny, but can be annoying that early on a cold morning, and they always seem to know when I am running late!

Quote:
Wow! Sounds like you did get an easy one. I have a BLM adopted mare who takes one step forward and 3 back.
wink.png
We adopted her in 02 and somedays she's wonderful and the next she's just like she forgot everything you taught her. We love her dearly though, I just keep hoping one of these days she'll come around.

Curious: Which HMA did yours come from? Mine is from Buffalo Hills, HMA in NV.

My guy is from Great Divide Basin in Wyoming. I used to be on a lot of mustang forums/lists, and it has been my observation (making a broad generalization) that the NV horses can be harder to get to come around. Wy, and Oregon tend to be easier. Mainly every horse is different, and every person is different, so it just depends! My biggest problems with my mustang is claustrophobia stuff. He is fine in a stall, but doesn't tie well and doesn't trailer well. Really I would say most of his issues are probably my fault in training.

My mustang has taught me patience for sure. I am sure you know how rewarding even the littlest steps are with the wild ones!

Quote:
Yes I used to be on a bunch of the forums as well and noticed that. I have a friend with some from Utah that she still can't halter and she's had them for 8-10 years.

Tab does very well with trailering, stalling and tolerates tying. Most of our horses ground tie though so it makes it easier.

I think any horse will teach you paitence but the Mustang will teach them for sure.

Tab lacks trust and that's the biggest problem of all. She is just not going to trust anyone. Once we get a hold of her she is usually fine but it's the catching her is the hard part. She is one of the neatest horses we own, whether or not we ever get to ride her still remains a question but we love just getting to work with her and see her in the pasture is fine with me too.

I am going to make a thread on my horses shortly once I finish loading pics and such.

Back
Top Bottom