Trimming beak on cross beaked?

koakritters

Songster
8 Years
Jan 27, 2011
Petaluma
I've been reading that you can trim/file down the beaks, and i want to try it on my little cross beaked, however i haven't found a "right" or a "wrong" way to do it. can someone give me instructions, or point me in the right direction, so i know what i'm doing when i try this? I'd hate to hurt her somehow by doing it wrong, i'm hoping she can eat a bit better this way, she's doing pretty good, but still not as big as her siblings.
smile.png

bump

I have no experience, but I did see someone used one of those pedipaws to grind top and bottom a little.
Hope this may help get you some answers.

With my cross beak, I took a pair of nail clippers and cut the beak as close as I could so that it wouldn't bleed, if yours starts to bleed a little you can put some flour on it to help it stop.

I tried trimming my cross beaked girl a while back with a dremel. I am a dog groomer and fairly handy at running a dremel to do dogs nails so I thought it wouldn't be hard. I haven't done it since because it got too close and her poor beak was sore for a few days. Some people say if you trim the lower beak they loose the ability to "scoop" food well. I have left hers alone since then and she has done fine so I figure if it isn't broke I won't try to fix it! There is usually very little beak that can be safely taken off that doesn't have blood supply to it. Just my two cents.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom