Trimming chicken beaks?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Frizzledhen, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    I was just wondering if anyone actally trims their chickens beaks when they get long. I don't mean cutting the top beak back to where it will never grow out again, just trimming the tip back. I have a couple of chickens that need a trim quite often. I use the dog nail clippers to do the job. I was wondering if long beaks hinder them while trying to eat. It also looks like they could do a lot more damage to another bird with that dagger hanging off their face. Why do some birds need a trim and others never do? DO they actually need a trim or am I just being overly sensitive to their looks?

2. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    My Blue Andalusians have daggers sticking out of their faces. I've never trimmed them. They don't seem to impede eating or drinking, in fact, it really helps with tough treats like pumpkin. I've not had any picking issues.

3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    If beaks get too long, you can shorten them by just filing them with an emery board.

4. Frizzledhen

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    pips&peeps :

If beaks get too long, you can shorten them by just filing them with an emery board.

I tried that and my roo tried to eat the emery board. How do you hold their heads still long enough to file the beak?​

5. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    You'll just have to work with him. Try petting him for a while and playing with his hackles like you are grooming him and he should settle down.

6. Frizzledhen

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    OH MY, I start petting and playing with the old mans hackles he might get the wrong idea![​IMG]

3 people like this.
  7. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i've never heard of trimming beaks. Do they grow the way nails do? My birds beaks seem to stay the same length over time.

8. Frizzledhen

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    They must grow like fingernails. Most birds wear them back by pecking around but some seem to grower faster than others or are maybe harder and wear down slower. I have only 2 birds that I trim their beaks on a regular basis. My fingernails grow slowly and are soft. My sister's fingernails grow fast and are as hard as nails.[​IMG] Maybe chicken beaks are the same.

9. LittleChickenRacingTeam

LittleChickenRacingTeam On vacation

Jan 11, 2007
    Ontario, CANADA
    If your chickens are let out in a run everyday, they usually will not need a beak trimming.

Since mine spend significant time cooped up inside, occasionaly I will need to take the dremel tool to their beaks.

10. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Well gosh, i learn something new on this board every day!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by