1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Trimming chicken beaks?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Frizzledhen, Nov 4, 2008.

1. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    My EE with beak issues got a beak-icure recently [​IMG] Her top beak grows like a curved hook and the bottom stays straight. She is the only one of my birdies with beak problems. I just used baby toenail clippers and rounded off the end of the top...it really didn't help much though [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just layed her on her back in my lap, she went right to sleep [​IMG] She's a sweet girl though and loves to be fussed with.

2. feckless_son

feckless_son Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2009
    Too close to Boston
    My dominique chicks are clearly interested in beak filing on their own.
    They rub their beaks back and forth a couple of times each on whatever the hardest thing in the coop happens to be, wood in this case.

Anybody use something like those pumice stones that parrot owners seem to keep in cages?

3. LyonFuzz

LyonFuzz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    South Lyon, Michigan
    I clip the upper and lower beak of one of my crossbeak ameraucanas about every 2 weeks. It helps her eat better....and she likes to look pretty:) LOL. I just use dog nail clippers and hold her like a baby.

4. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    I read this thread because I have a house chicken with beak issues. My BO roo had problems with sour crop last summer and his beak got a little long when I was hand feeding him. I fixed it by putting his food on a concrete slab for a few days. My little pet will only eat crumbles, though, so that solution won't work for her.

5. SF Farmgirl

SF Farmgirl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2009
    San Francisco
    I have 3 Rhodies and one Araucana. Recently, the Araucana has begin bullying the others--combs are bloody and pieces missing. I have clipped the Araucana's wings today, in order to give the others a mobility advantage. If that doesn't work, I've been thinking of dulling the Aruacana's beak a bit, to try and minimize the injuries she's inflicting. Has anyone tried this?

And yes, I tried the separation trick. It made her upset and she stopped laying.

6. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Pedi Paws works SUPER I have one for our JRT and I tried it on a few of our Andalusians that have very pointy beaks-those things are like ant eater beaks!We have a few that like to peck for harassment...They wiggle a little but you can hold their head still for just a few seconds and remove that real sharp point.
    I have even used it on a cross beak and it really helps.I do Popeye so much he has stopped wiggling and just lays there now.It helps him eat better and no worries about cutting too deep

7. WisconsinGardenChick

WisconsinGardenChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Quote:Exactly. Mine have a cinder block in their run. They use that to take care of the job themselves.

2 people like this.
  8. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I keep a patio block on top of cinder blocks to hold my waterers, and I find the birds trim their beaks on the rough edges...works great!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  9. VA from WV

VA from WV Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2009
    Eastern Pandhandle WV
    I have had to trim 3 beaks back thus far, and I just did it with a pair of cat nail clippers. Ugh. All were caged birds. Time to make sure we don't need much of that. [​IMG]

I also started adding things to the runs so the birds can do it themselves. 12 x 12 floor tiles, flipped rough side up, placed where they scratch seem to help a lot. I will probably put bricks out in the outdoor runs just to give them something to do it themselves.

10. TheChickenProject

TheChickenProject Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2010
    I also have an EE with a hooked beak. I want to use the toe nail clipper but am worried the beak will split. Are the beaks hard and brittle or soft and easy to cut through?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by