Trimming chicken beaks?

I tried a Dremil and it was too noisy so it scared my roo. I have this motorized nail file I got so many years ago from Sears. It is much slower and less noisy than a Dremil but it does the job. It is hard without help in holding my roo down though. He is still scared of the vibration. It really helps his beak to file it though especially in the advent of chips and cracks.

I used the nail clippers today on the beak. The beak was easy to trim and the bird never flinched. I wonder if she even knew I cut it.
hmm.png

I'm so glad to see this thread! My tiny flock seems to do fine keeping their beaks in good shape using their surroundings... but my one favorite is a cross beak, and I think she needs a trim. Seeing that so many people have managed safely makes me feel a little more self-confident about her first trim!

Hi I tried to use a pet nail clipper,but I lost my nerve so ended up using a nailfile.This was not ideal but did take the beak down a bit.I will have to have another go.My silkie Pootle is very used to being handled so I aim to try and do a bit each day.

My crossbeak's top beak was looking like a hawk's beak so I clipped it with toenail clippers. I could see where the pink blood supply starts. If I keep trimming it every couple of days do you think the blood supply will retreat like in a dog's toenail?
If not I might get the vet to REALLY cut it back as otherwise I think she will be on the verge of starving all the time. I give her yogurt and sunflower in the mornings and let her stick her head in the mealworms at night but that hook is really getting in the way now.

Quote:
My chicken -Pootle,seems to manage really well with his beak so far.She also seems to have the upper hand when eating apple! I keep a really close eye on her, as like you, it does concern me.I keep filing a bit off as often as possible but as you can expect shes not really keen on this!Im new to chickens and to be honest have fallen totally inlove with them! They are such little personalities and I could sit with them all day if I had the chance!!!

Quote:
I have a Polish chicken who is a bit..."slow". I trim her head feathers but she still does not seem to see well. She gets by but is not as active as the rest of my flock. I think these are the reasons why her beak sometimes gets a bit long. Same is true for her toenails So, I trim them about 2x/year. It is very easy to do with dog nail clippers. The beak is not brittle, it is very much like a dog's or chicken's toenails. If you are nervous about doing it, start at the tip of the beak and take a tiny bit off to see how it feels to you, and to reassure yourself that everything will be okay. Or start on the toenails. You should be able to trim up until the top beak is just a bit longer than the bottom one. I have been able to make clean cuts and didn't find the need for filing, but that sounds like a good idea.

You can buy "styptic powder" a yellow powder to stop bleeding in case you cut too close, or else use baby powder. I have never needed it for a beak trimming but I have for nail trimming. I would be more conservative on the beak trimming (meaning, I don't push my luck by cutting off too much) because I don't want to mess up their beak to the point where they don't eat. For the nails i am a bit more aggressive.

One hint I can offer, and this is generally true for all animals: while I don't suggest rushing the process, it is best to do the procedure as efficiently as possible. Get set up first, have a towel ready in case you want to wrap them in it to restrain them, have a helper standing by, etc. Once an animal gets panicked and wants to fight you it is much harder and causes them a lot of stress. If that happens it might be best to delay the procedure for another day or so unless it's really urgent.

Good luck

Quote:
I have a Polish chicken who is a bit..."slow". I trim her head feathers but she still does not seem to see well. She gets by but is not as active as the rest of my flock. I think these are the reasons why her beak sometimes gets a bit long. Same is true for her toenails So, I trim them about 2x/year. It is very easy to do with dog nail clippers. The beak is not brittle, it is very much like a dog's or chicken's toenails. If you are nervous about doing it, start at the tip of the beak and take a tiny bit off to see how it feels to you, and to reassure yourself that everything will be okay. Or start on the toenails. You should be able to trim up until the top beak is just a bit longer than the bottom one. I have been able to make clean cuts and didn't find the need for filing, but that sounds like a good idea.

You can buy "styptic powder" a yellow powder to stop bleeding in case you cut too close, or else use baby powder. I have never needed it for a beak trimming but I have for nail trimming. I would be more conservative on the beak trimming (meaning, I don't push my luck by cutting off too much) because I don't want to mess up their beak to the point where they don't eat. For the nails i am a bit more aggressive.

One hint I can offer, and this is generally true for all animals: while I don't suggest rushing the process, it is best to do the procedure as efficiently as possible. Get set up first, have a towel ready in case you want to wrap them in it to restrain them, have a helper standing by, etc. Once an animal gets panicked and wants to fight you it is much harder and causes them a lot of stress. If that happens it might be best to delay the procedure for another day or so unless it's really urgent.

Good luck

I used people clippers on Zippy's beak as I could make little cuts on the tip and sides and take off a little at a time. I would not cut straight across the beak and try to take it all at once. She was cool with it basically and I felt I could see her pink blood supply through her yellow beak. The blood supply can sneak up on you though so for me I like to take a little at a time rather than guess and make a big irreversible clip. I had a chick break a toenail one time and I had a hard time getting the bleeding stopped, even with styptic. Styptic is a good idea though. It should be at hand.

If you look at my pic, you will see that we have a Sebright banty with a twisted beak. Here in rural MN I am lucky to have a vet that raised them when he was younger! He showed me how to use a cat nail clipper and just trim the edge off. JUST THE OPAQUE PART! There is no way they can fix it but this way he can still eat.
Myia:)

Hello- I'm new to keeping chickens. I had 5 chicks in June that a weasel got to - killed 3 the other 2 were injured. 1 was bitten on the head & I thought she'd lost her eye, but she hadn't - however she developed a strange beak, the top is curling over (my sister who runs a farm thinks maybe the weasel bit into a nerve causing her beak to 'slip'). Today it seems that the curl is now sitting on top of the lower beak& she has sores by her eye - presumably the others are pecking her- poor darling.
My question is I think she needs a beak trim but I dont want to trim too far - are there any photos/diagrams that show where the quick is? Also how can I treat the scabby area around her eye??
I may chicken out & take her to the vet...
She is my favourite & I call her beaky!
Thanks Lisa

Back
Top Bottom