Trimming chicken beaks?

We've just adopted 5 HiLine Browns and were horrified to see their beaks have been trimmed! We were told it was to stop them injuring each other but it's not something I am comfortable with, especially considering they'll be free range from now on. Will their beaks grow back? How long does it take??
idunno.gif

I just picked up 5 d'Anver hens, two of them need their top beak trimmed badly... as it is way, way to long.
They are also starting to use them as spears.

Last thing I need is them to hurt the other bantams I have.

Avian vets routinely use a dremel to trim beaks. My house chickens need trimming badly. I did skip a page, but didn't see any real guide. I know how to trim parrot beaks, have just never seen it done on a chicken.

I picked up three hens to replace three that were Roosters. Unknowingly, until I picked them up, they were as the man said..."de-beaked." I asked why and he said so they don't peck each other. Well guess what, my first even all have beaks and they are establishing the "pecking order." My question is twofold; are the new ones safe and will their beaks grow back? After 6 days the newbies have not been accepted into the flock. Did I create a problem?

Still new at this but learning!

I've just trimmed my Polish.
Using a file and wrapping her in a towel to keep her calm.
First time and she's all the better for it.
I just run the file under neath her top beak until it just hangs over the bottom slightly.
Not to sharp mind.

I read this thread because I have a house chicken with beak issues. My BO roo had problems with sour crop last summer and his beak got a little long when I was hand feeding him. I fixed it by putting his food on a concrete slab for a few days. My little pet will only eat crumbles, though, so that solution won't work for her.

I'm new here. Just got 4 Golden Comets on Sunday. I have discovered one of my girls has a trimmed upper beak that is very stubby and shorten. She had difficulty pecking at food and snacks. She is slower to eat so the others are stealing her food. Will her beak grow back?

I have a brahma hen that i realized a while back she was having trouble eating, and saw her beak was overgrown. I trimmed it and that helped some, but over the course of the past week she has been eating less and less. I kept noticing mud caked in her mouth. Today she was sitting in my lap and I realized she couldn't really close her mouth. I took her in for another trim and this time noticed her top beak's sides were curling under towards the midline of her mouth. Essentially the bottom jaw could not fit into the top jaw. I trimmed away the curled bits, scraped out the mud, and she is doing better but not perfect yet. I'll probably have to make a few more adjustments. I can't see the quick when I'm trimming, so it's a bit dicey and I'd rather go slow than take off too much. I really wish I could find a good graphic online of how this shape it properly but haven't found anything good, mostly debeaking info. If anyone knows a good picture that shows the proper cuts for top and bottom beaks it would be much appreciated if you share!

Back
Top Bottom