1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Trimming nails of chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by reelfamily, Apr 23, 2009.

1. reelfamily

reelfamily New Egg

Apr 23, 2009
    We have a Rhode Island Red 2yr old. A couple of her side nails have grown too long and it is starting bend her toe. Can we safely trim these nails? Also, what to do about leg mites? Thanks

2. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    Trimming toenails is easy - use a cat/dog nail trimmer. You should be able to see the "quick" easily. If not, shine a bright little flashlight underneath. You can also see by looking underneath the nail. Just clip off the end.
    As for leg mites, we've had luck with "Bag Balm" or vasaline. The Bag Balm may be more soothing. Just goop it on and massage as far up as you can, and on each toe. Repeat every day, but I'm not sure how many days. You also need to treat the coop with special attention to perches and nest boxes. I hate mites. Some chickens seem more prone to mite infestations than others. Usually the older ones and less hardy ones seem to show signs more than young and hardy ones. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by