trimming roos spurs

nevikselrae

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 6, 2008
A friend gave me a 7 month old Roo, but my old roo is kickin his butt, the old one has spurs but the new one doesnt have them developed yet, I fiqured if I trim his spurs it will level the playing field........ the new roo is twice his size.

You can snip off the end or grab hold of the end and twist. You will likely cause some bleeding; there should be a product for this at the feed store, or you can just put flour or corn meal or styptic pencil on it.

But if one is twice the size of the other, I doubt this will solve the problem. The big one is still going to beat up on the smaller one.

Do not cut the spur off, you will cause a lot of unnessisary pain and bleeding. There are a lot of nerves in the spurs. You can do the twist abd pull method but I prefere to use a hot baked potatoe. Hold it on the spur for about 3-5 mins and the spur should come off.

when i had a friend remove the cover over the spurs they put cigarette filters over the nerve to act as a bandage till it stopped bleeding. it took about a day to fully stop. the reason to keep them covered is so the healing spur does not get infected. the butts can be unused or used-prefer the unused though! there are videos on You Tube that show you how to do it too. good to have another person hold the bird while someone else removes the spur.

just be careful, in some states you can't own the spurs that just came off the bird. not sure exactly why but i was told to paint the tips of the ones from my first roo so they wouldn't be mistaken as a weapon?!

Thanks for asking about this! I need to remove some spurs from my young roos. I got two. They flog and when my neighbor locks the house up when I'm working outta town, they flog her!! Can't have that, so them spurs gotta go!!!!
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
not all the tme will the big rooster win..I have had Bantys that would kick big rooster all over the place.. The one who has more heart usually the older 1..
smile.png

Last edited:
Thanks guys, the new roo is bigger, Its always something new here at the Big Sky Ranch.
Dreading the Indiana winter though. brrrr. Hey send us some rain would ya

Well the sun set at Big Sky Ranch and I went out and grabbed the old roo by his feet and trimmed his wings and nipped the tips off his spurs and isolated him in a big cage. I put the new roo in with the girls, about 40 of them, they were really interested in him when I first put him in until, the old roo got mad.

I think the isolation might calm ole roo down especially if he dont have spurs and wings,
I try and trim the girls wings to keep them in the pen, but dont like to do it because they cant fly away from the preditors out here, well sometimes you got to sacrafice one for the other, they are free rangin now the garden is done. Its good to see them running around, but they keep eating the cats food, even though the food is in a tupperware tote with ahole cut in it for the cats. When I catch em doing it I say HEY WHAT YOU doing, and they get out, like kids caught with their hand caught in the cookie jar.
thanks for the advice,
There was no bleeding of the spur, I just took off the point.
Thanks for the rain.........lite but wet.........

Back
Top Bottom