Trimming spurs?

Red&Yellow

Songster
10 Years
Sep 30, 2009
Frederick County, MD
I've read quite a bit that folks here are trimming their boys' spurs......how, exactly, does one do such a thing?

I would love to know, as one of our roos has THE SHARPEST spurs ever! I actually cut myself on them, and the poor hens!

Please and thank you.

Last edited:
There are some people who use a saw, or a dremel tool and cut them off. I know if you search for spur trimming you will find a link to someone who has step by step instructions.

I use a pair of pliers and twist off the outer layer of the spur. (I put the pliers at the base of the spur, and twist them back and forth. You will see the outer layer crack and I keep twisting until I am able to take the spur off). It leaves a smaller spur that is soft (some say it is like the quick of your nail) and it may bleed for a little bit, but once I put the rooster down, he goes about his business. After a few days, the spur hardens up. The reason I use this method is because my DS shows game birds and their spurs cannot be cut off, otherwise, he could be investigated for cock fighting.

I hope this helps!

Angie

Quote:
Why would he be investigated for their spurs being trimmed? That doesn't have anything to do with linking to cockfighting, plenty of people cut them everyday for protection..

-Daniel

Back
Top Bottom