Trimming wings

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Blackcrest, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Blackcrest

Blackcrest Out Of The Brooder

Due to the Amazing flight skills of my birds. I was wondering if I should get their wings trimmed. A local chicken owner told me to trim one wing and this will hinder flight. I know they are to be able to roost on sticks.. even though my birds don't. I was wondering. Should I do this?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    If they are getting out of the area you want them to stay in and are possibly in danger from predators, for example, when leaving the area you want them to stay in, then yes. Trim it. One wing will throw them off balance and both wings will make it hard for them to fly, but not impossible. I've trimmed wing feathers on my chickens, only to have them scramble over fences!

Here's an illustration showing where to cut:

[​IMG]

3. CoopChick719

CoopChick719 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2012
    Maine
    Someone told me I should trim the feathers on my bantam cochin hen's feet. The first time I tried it bled. Scared me half to death!! [​IMG]I had also been told because of the large blood supply to the feet that I had to be very careful trimming toenails because if I cut the quick, she could bleed to death if I couldn't get it to stop. Needless to say I have not trimmed any other feet or toenails. Any advice for the newbie??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by