trio?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by minister man, Dec 13, 2011.

1. minister man

minister man Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    New Brunswick
    When we talk about a trio of Chickens we usally mean a cock and 2 hens. But is it always? I know that from a trio, you start 2 hen lines. The reverse is exactly the same thing though right? I mean if your very best bird is a hen, then she could be mated to two differn't males ( one at a time of Course) to start 2 male lines, and all the chicks get marked according to thier dad, instead of thier mom? If the female sets the type, I was thinking this might be a useful solution. Also, there are usally more males available than females. What do you think? is it the same thing either way? if not, why not? Thanks

2. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:Trio refers to three. Usually used as one cock and two hens correct, but I imagine it could be used in either way.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  3. Narragansett

Narragansett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2011
    In poultry it is understood that a trio means one male and two females. If you are exhibiting, it is required to be in that ratio.

A male line and a female line are not named simply for the sex of the first bird you choose to make a pairing to start that line. A male line refers to a line in which only the males have the characteristics needed to fit the Standard description. Females in this line usually have traits which disqualify them. It sounds counterproductive, but a line like this may be used to produce exceptional specimens of one sex for exhibition purposes. In some ways it simplifies things, because you do not have to worry about trying to achieve Standard qualities in the sex for which your line is not bred for. A female line would be the opposite, only the hens have the required exhibition characteristics. In some of these seperate lines, breeding a quality male of a male line to a quality female of a female line does not give you offspring that resemble either parent. Usually seperate sex lines are needed at the variety level. It is unfortunate that some varieties will never breed true, according to the standard requirements for both sexes in one line. If you wish to exhibit both sexes of these varieties you must keep both a male line and a female line. This is called double mating. For more information on this, see Bantam Chickens by Fred Jeffrey, published by the ABA.

I don't know where you get the idea that the female sets the type. Both sexes contribute equally, except if you have a prepotent individual, but that is uncommon.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I've heard the term "upside down trio" to refer to two cocks/cockerels and one hen/pullet. If you are SHOWING them, then a trio is only one male with two females, and all must be the same breed, variety and age.

5. minister man

minister man Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    New Brunswick
    I wasn't looking at showing a trio, I was looking at starting a breeding program with one. I Should have said that each male was starting a "family" not a line. As I understand linebreeding it is breeding back to a high quality bird. so That bird can be a female though right?

6. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I think you could use the same hen to start two different but related lines (half siblings). But your hen and two males would not be called a trio. If you try to call them a trio, you are just going to confuse your listener.

7. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:You can start a line from any three birds, it is often done under a male as it easier to get several generations, up to 7, from the one male constantly breed back to his daughters, granddaughters, great grand daughters etc. Breeding in that format for 6 generations is a common principle in very heavy line breeding to reproduce that male. Starting with a proven breeder female would put you well behind the curve and likely only be able to get an additional 3-4 generations out of her before she is spent.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by