Trip to the ER...salmonella!!!!

hmmmm the incubation period
"the incubation period is between 6-48 hours, the patient with salmonellosis experiences gastroenteritis (fever, vomitting, diarhea, and abdominal cramps). Intestinal ulceration is rare and blood invasion is uncommon.
Diagnosis usually consists of isolating the Salmonella serotype from stool specimans or rectal swabs, using differential media." This can take up to 72 hours to culture.

Sounds more like Ecoli (which you can get from chickens too) Ecoli especially 0157-H7 has a very fast incubation period and cause bloody diahrea.
At any rate to confirm either they would need a culture. And both treated with antibiotics, so definatly the best course of action.

But also both of these have many other sources.

Just an FYI not ALL chickens harbor salmonella. If it was from your chickens there are ways to get rid of it, which would involve treating your entire pen with a bleach solution brand new bedding, and treating your chickens with antibiotics for 10-14 days. Preferably broad spectrum like erthromycin (can't remember the brand for chickens)
This is important due to the fact that if you like fried or soft boiled eggs the organism can live in an not hard yolk.

I did a project in school about vaccinations of chickens for salmonella, by injecting them with an antibody serum, the research showed that is was very effective, but that egg producers don't want to spend the money.
of course i went off on a tagent...sorry.

Quote:

Directly copied from http://www.cdc.gov/nczved/divisions/dfbmd/diseases/salmonellosis/:
What is salmonellosis?
Salmonellosis is an infection with bacteria called Salmonella. Most persons infected with Salmonella develop diarrhea, fever, and abdominal cramps 12 to 72 hours after infection. The illness usually lasts 4 to 7 days, and most persons recover without treatment. However, in some persons, the diarrhea may be so severe that the patient needs to be hospitalized. In these patients, the Salmonella infection may spread from the intestines to the blood stream, and then to other body sites and can cause death unless the person is treated promptly with antibiotics. The elderly, infants, and those with impaired immune systems are more likely to have a severe illness.

Quote:​

Quote:
Quote:

They did a culture and we are waiting on the results. Dr said salmonella or shigela (spelling ????), which he said was "in the same category as salmonella". I'll post as soon as I know the results. Didn't know about the ecoli. My husband's WBC count was 23,000 and there were WBC present in his stool.

Mine was directly quoted from Alcamo's fundamental of Microbiology Jefferey C Pommerville
roll.png

It still could be salmonella.

Quote:
Quote:

yeah he was definatly fighting something if his WBC's were that high. Shigella you can get from chickens too. but mainly that is spread by humans. Kids carry it alot, outbreaks in daycare and such. Shegellosis can be deadly, it can cause dysentary.

I once swabbed my chickens rump for a project and found a species of Cholera. not Vibrio, which is so popular and deadly, but a species that runs in chickens. Got lots of looks in class.

Quote:
Quote:

They did a culture and we are waiting on the results. Dr said salmonella or shigela (spelling ????), which he said was "in the same category as salmonella". I'll post as soon as I know the results. Didn't know about the ecoli. My husband's WBC count was 23,000 and there were WBC present in his stool.

I was not saying that he does not have salmonella, just that the specific contact you mentioned is too soon to be the cause. It could well be from the chickens and when he fed them earlier that day or held one the night before or ... Or ir could be from a meal or snack he got somewhere away from home, or many other things.

Back
Top Bottom