Triple Yolk

Allears

Songster
8 Years
Jul 4, 2015
South Africa
My Cornish Rock's first eggs... soft shell. They are on layer feed now and have had free access to oyster shell, so I think she's hopefully just sorting out the kinks in her system. The other bird is laying hard shell, but small eggs.

Last edited:
Calcium absorption is a complex process. In humans it requires magnesium and vitamin D. Probably in birds as well.

Not unusual to see in the first month or so of laying...until they get the kinks worked out of the system.
Meanwhile, eggs everywhere, some of them can be rather funky looking, soft or thin shelled, huge multiple yolked eggs.

A triple yolk, that's not something you see everyday.
big_smile.png
It's not that uncommon for pullets to lay a shelless egg or two when they first start laying, so I wouldn't be concerned. By Cornish Rock, Are you referring to Cornish Rock cross meat birds?

Yup, both girls are Cornish Rock hybrid meat birds. They are pets though and not destined for the dinner table
smile.png
Hmm...do you know that those Cornish X hybrids were not designed to be layers or live long lives and have a high likelihood of developing serious heart and leg issues?
Maybe it's different in your country <shrugs> but not the best chicken to have for a pet.

Hmm...do you know that those Cornish X hybrids were not designed to be layers or live long lives and have a high likelihood of developing serious heart and leg issues?
Maybe it's different in your country <shrugs> but not the best chicken to have for a pet.
Thank you for your concern, I hadn't intended becoming a chicken owner but these two were rescued from a cull pile. They are now 4 months old (as long as I have owned chickens) and doing surprisingly well considering my ignorance. Thank heaven for this site! They are currently on a diet because they weigh around 5kg each. I've got them on 120g complete layer feed and they are free range, so get lots of exercise.
LL
LL

They don't roost, love dust bathes, follow me like puppies and have the sweetest nature. I realise they may not get much older than 2 years, but at least they will have had a good life. If they develop any health issues that can't be managed I will have them put to sleep. They sleep in the garage and gallop (they don't run) to the front door when it's opened in the morning. They walk through the house and out the back door. The same process gets repeated in reverse at bed time and boy do they complain if the exit doors aren't opened quick enough for them to go through!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1037992/wlh-roo-laid-an-egg/10

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom