Tropical Chicken Run for Composting

aliciahorsley

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2015

This was taken last week. We're building a 10ft x 10ft run for hopefully 8 hens. (I bought 6 chicks, at least 2 of which I am convinced are roos
barnie.gif
)
We hope to get the chickens to compost for us. The run is almost done though it's raining so I can't get a photo. Was wondering if you any of you have thoughts on coop building. The wooden coops I see just seem to warm. Our temperature can get to 39C on a hot day. The coolest nights are no less than 26C and we get torrential rain, thick 10cm in an hour.

Last edited:
My opinion, wood with insulated non metal roof will actually keep it cooler make sure lots of ventilations. I gather they will be out a lot since its Warner in your area? This was taken last week. We're building a 10ft x 10ft run for hopefully 8 hens. (I bought 6 chicks, at least 2 of which I am convinced are roos :barnie ) We hope to get the chickens to compost for us. The run is almost done though it's raining so I can't get a photo. Was wondering if you any of you have thoughts on coop building. The wooden coops I see just seem to warm. Our temperature can get to 39C on a hot day. The coolest nights are no less than 26C and we get torrential rain, thick 10cm in an hour.

Look at the top of this page in the coops section for open air coops, then build the most open coop you can. You are not at all worried about your chickens being cold. Heat is your real enemy and can be deadly. All you need is a roof to keep the rain off of them when roosting and out of the nests. Provide as much shade as you can and leave it as open as you can for breezes. A metal roof can get pretty hot during the day but if it is high enough over them it will work out. It will cool off after the sun goes down pretty quickly. Wood will be cooler to start with. In your climate you can pretty much build everything on the sides out of wire as long as they are protected from predators. You may need some sides to stop the rain from going in though.

All your rain may be a real problem for having them stir the compost for you though it may work out. The stuff you are trying to compost needs to be damp but not wet. If it stays real wet it can go into anaerobic decomposition. It will stink and can turn slimy. What you want is aerobic activity so the bugs can get some air. That gives you a better quality compost and does not stink. That means you will have to manage the water. Try to keep as much moisture out as you can to start with and set it up so any moisture that gets in will drain out. One trick is to build the floor up several cm out of sand so the water will drain out if it has a place to go. I’ll give you a link that has some suggestions that night help you. The best time to fix a muddy run is before you build it.

Pat’s Big Ol' Mud Page (fixing muddy runs):
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-fix-a-muddy-run

Another thing is to not overcrowd it. The more chickens you have pooping in a small space, the more the poop builds up. When poop builds up and gets wet it can really stink. That can be unhealthy.

If you can keep it dry enough it can work out really well, but in your climate that might be a challenge. Good luck.

Thank you very much for the advice and suggestions. As it's a very sheltered corner, and it drains fairly well, I have high hopes. I also have about 4 wheelbarrow loads of sand which was leftover from the renovations. Will chuck that into run tomorrow. We are also adding a gutter to the roof that overhangs the run so direct water into a water butt tomorrow.

Will have photos soon, fingers crossed :)

Back
Top Bottom