Trouble breathing? Unable to stand - no appetite and won't take water

Littlepecker

Hatching
12 Years
Apr 19, 2007
she pants and opens her mouth like she can't get a breath - her breathing sounds fine, clear, but very slow. She wasn't standing and pushed herself backwards to get around - on her rump - that was yesterday - today she managed to walk - I squirted water down her throat yesterday and she had convulsive cries that made her fall back - today she licked a few drops off her beak - any thoughts from anyone? Thanks in advance.

Please do not squirt anymore water into her beak... birds do not have an eppiglottis to close off the hole leading to the lungs...
You need to dip her beak in the waterer or dribble it alongside the beak... if she is prostrate then I use a glass eardripper thingy and give drop for drop...what usually happens is that they will insert the tip of their beak into the hole and suck it out as I (VERY) gently exert pressure)...
You need to add electrolytes to the water if she is panting... The human one (pediolyte for children>use the unflavored one) can be used or even gatorade in a pinch but the bird electrolytes are really better and have vitamins added to it too.
Dehydration will kill your bird quicker than what is ailing it and most bodyweight loss is due to loss of fluid. The water should not be cold but a tepid warmth and all food offered should not be dry but wettened with water. you can also offer her yogurt (the live culture one and not the desert/pasteurized one)
Without more details (including age and breed of bird and the conditions and the feed type etc ) I am afraid I am not even able to guess at what might be ailing your bird.

Last edited:
thank you dl - I'm realizing that I need to learn so much more about these guys - I've dropped water-honey-braggs on her beak this morning and listened to her little insides gurgle - I'll look for that electrolyte you recommended - she's a spring chick from this year - so five or six months old - not very accurate I know - and my understanding is she's a Polish Plume, that is she's black with a feathered white crest that covers her entire head - not sure cuz I didn't get her or speak with the people who sold her - but I'll include a picture if I can figure out how to - any more info you can give would be very well appreciated - thank you again.
If I did this right - this should be what she looks like panting:

and this is a straight shot to see her plume:
photostream

Hi dl - thanks for your input - she seems to be recovering from whatever it was - still week - but she's started taking food - soaked rice and the water mixture - we're still keeping an eye on her thought - lp

that is wonderful to hear she seems to be doing better ...have my fingers and toes crossed for her...

Back
Top Bottom