Trouble Hatching Mixed Breed Eggs

cocomsu

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 23, 2013
On March 25th I put a dozen of my Rouen/Pekin/Khaki crossed eggs in the incubator. On March 31st I put in my mixed breed chicken eggs (so that I could take them off the turner at the same time). My chicken eggs are hatching (yesterday and today) but my duck eggs aren't. There used to be movement, but I haven't seen any in a few days. I carefully cracked open one of the duck eggs that I'd drew a "?" on (because there was no movement, but it always looked like a fetus was in there)-there was a large dead fetus inside with a pretty large egg sac still attached. I thought the hatching time was the same for all my duck breeds (28 days)...should I give them another couple of days or assume they're all gone? Are duck eggs more sensitive to temperature drops than chicken eggs? I don't know why they were all making it until a certain point in their development.

Thank you!

On March 25th I put a dozen of my Rouen/Pekin/Khaki crossed eggs in the incubator. On March 31st I put in my mixed breed chicken eggs (so that I could take them off the turner at the same time). My chicken eggs are hatching (yesterday and today) but my duck eggs aren't. There used to be movement, but I haven't seen any in a few days. I carefully cracked open one of the duck eggs that I'd drew a "?" on (because there was no movement, but it always looked like a fetus was in there)-there was a large dead fetus inside with a pretty large egg sac still attached. I thought the hatching time was the same for all my duck breeds (28 days)...should I give them another couple of days or assume they're all gone? Are duck eggs more sensitive to temperature drops than chicken eggs? I don't know why they were all making it until a certain point in their development.

Thank you!
I wouldn't toss them yet, candle a few and see if you can tell where air sac is and if you see movement. sometimes they are on a different time table than we are.

Back
Top Bottom