Trouble hatching silkies!

rickschicksfarm

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 1, 2012
I have been hatching out EE's for quite some time with really great success. Then a few months ago we started to try and hatch some of our silkie eggs. We have only had one out 3 dzn+ eggs hatch and survive. They are fertile and fully developed. 90% make it to lockdown. Then, they die before piping. Incubated at 99-100 degrees with 50% humidity, automatic turner. then 99-100 dgrees with 60% humidity last three days not turning. Have had 90-100% hatch rate with my EE's doing this. Tried incubating same temp with 40% humidity then 50% during lockdown. Still great hatches with EE's but silkies not making it out. Any suggestions?

THANKS!!!

I would keep the humidity on the lower side.
Add water in the beginning and then ONLY add water when the humidity drops more than 20% to bump it back up to 35-40%. During lockdown you can raise the humidity to 65% or more with no problems.

Also, during the first 16 days, open the incubator (if you have a styro-bator) a few times a day for about 30 seconds. This lets in some fresh air and also helps cool down the eggs a tad bit. This would mimick the mother hen getting off the nest occasionally to relieve herself.

Good luck on your future hatches!
thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the advice and the link. I'll certainly lower the humidity to 35-40% and try again. Hopefully we'll have better success.

Back
Top Bottom