Trouble pooping (UPDATE)

ladycrotalus

Songster
10 Years
Jun 14, 2009
Massena, NY
One of my hens has a dirty vent and just seems to have trouble pooping. Ill post pics tonight. Other then that she is a normal chicken , eating, sleeping, grazing, ect..
I have an appoitment with the vet on monday, thats the soonest they could get me in.

Last edited:
Soak her in a tub of warm water and clean the area gently until she is poop free. Let the warm water soften the poop plug. Watch out for 'an explosive poop" for lack of better term. You don't want to get in the way of that.

Make sure she is able to poop or she will die. It's like pasty butt in chicks. I've never tried it but I have read that you can use the rounded end of a bobby pin to try and remove the plug. If you do try this don't force the back further inside.

I wish I could be more help. Good luck. let us know how it goes.

The next day she was straining and pooping blood. Then saturday she was pooping poo and straining a bit but no blood.
I got her into the vet today, he cleaned her up, gave her amoxicillin, and put this ointment on her rectum.

I gotta give her amox 3 times a day orally, clean her vent and apply the ointment 2 times day.

I asked him what could have caused this and he didnt know.
Ideas?

Is there an easy way to give oral antibiotics just by myself? Noone in my family will hold the bird for me.
somad.gif

Back
Top Bottom