Trouble sexing a 6wk EE, Could anyone please help?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Sequin, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Ok, so I thought I knew I had all pullets. But this one has become the mystery. Dominant for sure with the other chicks/pullets. It flies at the other chicks heads when out in the yard periodically, but leaves people alone. When I enter the chick room/house it makes this funny noise, but I cannot really describe it very good. However, even though the comb is a deeper shade of pink than the others, there does not seem to be any wattle formation as of yet. The other chicks just sort of ignore all the flying around this chick does. I'm so confused. Help would be lovely!!! [​IMG] Thanks soo much friends!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    that is a pullet. no wattles and the comb would be a bright red by now. the behavior may mean it is the dominate hen of the house which will happen if there is no roo. enjoy her, she is beautiful! [​IMG]

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    May act a little cocky but I'm thinking pullet.

4. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    My EE's are three weeks, and I already have two with pretty bright red combs, the other two are still a pale orange. So, I'm guessing that your's are pullets, considering the age.

5. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    I think it is a pullet also. although with the splashed of color makes one think it could be a cockerl. I have an EE that is 6 weeks also and look kinda like her but ive been told that its a boy. Those who thought it was a boy were concerned about the long tail. Any guesses?

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  6. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

I think they're all pullets [​IMG] The comb is pinkish, but is it just the single middle point that's raised? If you can see all 3 ridges, I'd vote roo but I just see the one so I'm leaning pullet. Also, it's hard to tell in photos, but do the wings cover her whole back or is there a wide strip of feathers running down in between?

7. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    First is a Rooster. Hens are usually darker shades of gold and such.

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    pullet

9. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    There is a wide row of feather going down the middle.
    Quote:

10. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    All of my birds have feathers between their wings...I'm not sure I understand that very well.

I have a silver/white bird that looks similar to yours who also has the same comb definition and color at 5 weeks. I've been trying to get pics good enough to post and have a hard time getting anything.

I can see all 3 ridges on the comb, but it's the center one that's raised a bit and pinkish.

I'm also thinking I haven't seen any cross-beak pullets, nearly every cross-beak I hear of is an EE roo, so it makes me worry, as mine has a very crossed scissors beak.

Can anyone else weigh in on average comb-reddening development of EE roos??

btw- mine were supposed to be sexed pullets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by