Trouble with EE eggs

nicoletm24

Songster
9 Years
Jul 11, 2010
Timberlake
So, I went on lock down with some eggs. Mixed. most were green EE's though. Well, day 18 I had some already piping...but the ones that hatched that night were everything BUT the EE eggs...
hu.gif

So, I have 5 very cute little fuzzies....and 1 might be EE, just looking by her coloring, but hatched from a brown egg lol. Then I've got 2 other little yellow ones, and a barred rock.

These eggs were given to us by a friend, so I really have no clue what's what.

BUT...now, it's day 21 and still not even 1 pip out of the green eggs
tongue.gif

Has anyone hatched EE's?? and do they take longer? ANY TIPS on them....I've never hatched anything but our own chicken eggs...so no clue what's up.

THANKS

Quote:
Oh, it's sooo hard....but I think you should just let it ride.....Maybe they were just not as far along as the other eggs...a day or so can make a difference......

Crossing my fingers for you, Nicole!

fl.gif

thanks. It's hard.

I've had EE's before, but we've had dog attacks at my chicken coop and all the ones I raised up have been killed
hit.gif

So, this is my attempt AGAIN to have my beautiful EE's..I'm in love with the breed, but it doesn't seem to want to work for me.

I'm keeping fingers crossed that in a day or 2 I see at LEAST a pip from one of them

But, I usually don't let them set in the bator after day 25....after that point I give up.

And, I've had eggs before that at day 23 or so I could put it to my ear and hear tapping...they were trying to get out, I'd assist, and they'd be so under developed they'd die. So I stopped even trying to help if I hear them...bc I know the outcome.

so, I shall wait....
pop.gif

I've read people talking about EE s on here a lot. Some have explained that it stands for Easter Eggers. But what on earth is an Easter Egger? Is it an egg laid at easter? Or a breed of chicken that I've never heard of?
roll.png

Quote:
its a chicken that lays blue/green and pink eggs
smile.png
(usually blue or green im pretty sure tho haha)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a "breed", or a hybrid breed.

Bantam, they're called Easter Eggers because they lay colorful eggs. What color? Well, hopefully blue or green, or somewhere in between. They're usually an aracuana/americana mixed with something else.

I have four EE hens that lay anywhere from a very light green to aqua blue to seafoam green. In fact, in our little incubating party, all but one of my eggs are EE eggs mixed with a black copper marans rooster.

Because the primary goal of the chicken is the color of egg they lay, there's not really a standard, and it's kind of a mutt breed. Most (but definitely not all) have muffs/beards and slate legs.

All of the brownish chickens in this pic are EE. But other people have other colors of chicken.
chickenssept9.jpg

Here's my chickens' eggs. The ones from about noon to 2 are NOT EE. The rest are.

a2bc3f3e.jpg

As for hatching them, I'm on attempt 2. None hatched in attempt 1, but I think that was because the rooster hadn't had enough time with the girls to get them all fertilized.

You're EE's are BEAUTIFUL!!!! see, I want a good bunch of them...and have had no luck! I love them. but, keeping fingers crossed for these eggs. If all else, at least I have 5 'muts" that hatched!!! I don't really care about them being mixed...I just think EE's are beautiful! and love the colored eggs
lol.png

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom