Trouble with hatching

amberc727

Hatching
9 Years
May 17, 2010
I've had chickens for over a year, but for the first time I let a hen sit. I'll be honest, I didn't know what I was doing (still don't). I have a chicken tractor and had no where else to put her, so I let her stay in the next box in the tractor. Apparently, she had one egg for a few days longer than the rest, because I had one baby hatch on Monday. It's Wednesday now and I've had no other signs of hatching. She's got about a dozen under her still. She's stayed on the nest, and I've got it where the other chickens can't get in there (too afraid they'll hurt the baby). I got the little food and water containers because my father told me that baby would soon need to eat, so I've showed it how to do that. Thankfully the mama didn't try to flog me. She's a very patient hen, which my dad tells me is unusual. Anyway, the baby is eating and drinking, so I think it'll be alright, but I'm wondering what is going on with the other eggs? Any ideas? What should I do?

Sounds like you have done perfect so far. You can check the rest of the eggs by candling them with a flashlight. Was the hen with other hens at one time where another hen could have added extra eggs for a few days? Usually if the rest of the eggs are not going to hatch the hen gets up. Broodies usually know when the eggs have chicks in them.

Hmm...yes it is possible other hens could have added eggs, but I had tried to keep an eye on that by marking the ones I initially started with so I'd know if that happened. It's possible I could have missed a few.

Back
Top Bottom