Trouble with Hawks

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jwatts, Mar 24, 2013.

1. jwatts

jwatts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    I have a flock of about 14 layers and 3 ducks, i always have hawks trying to get them. I am in the process of putting up a 6' high chainlink fence for them. I will be putting some fence/mesh over the top to protect them. Is there anything that scares away Hawks? I have a crow decoy there because i know they dont get along but it dosent seem to work. Thank you for your time.

2. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    I put some big pieces of Mylar in yard to deter a hawk that was killing my birds. He didn't come back after I did this. Apparetly, from the sky it looks like fire so they won't come near it.

3. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Hawks are ambush predators. Crows cry bloody murder when they see a hawk (or owl). This tends to upset the hawks well laid plans to steal an unsuspecting chicken dinner from your yard. Also hawks unlike we humans just love to eat crow, that is another reason for crows to cry bloody murder when they see a hawk.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  4. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    A few minutes ago, a hawk flew by looking for lunch. The girls bolted for the heavy bushes; and the crows mounted at cawing, dive-bombing assault that drove the hawk away in a short time. My rooster was standing tall by the bushes, on guard, but would probably have been the first victim.

We have hawks around all the time.

Chris

5. ozarkchicks

ozarkchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2013
    If you have a good dog the hawks tend to stay away more, we have four and the hawks never come around

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by