Trouble with hen!?

That hen is not broody, trust me. Considering that she is a hatchery RIR type hen, after losing approx 15 of those to internal laying/egg yolk peritonitis, I'd say that might be what you're dealing with, though she is a tad younger than they usually start showing signs of it.

The yellow-green poop is characteristic of hens who are not eating much and I see it all the time in those who are dying from egg issues. Yes, she could have worms, but none of mine have ever shown signs of worms when this is happening. And they do get wormed about once a year or slightly less often. Upon their deaths and opening them up, you see the oviducts and abdomens full of cheesy gunk, which consists of solidifed infection and egg yolks.

I'm not saying for 100% sure that this is what is wrong as many things can have similar symptoms. A dying hen is a dying hen, unfortunately. You don't want to worm a hen who is severely ill, unless you're pretty sure she is ill from worms. Worming is hard on them.

Last edited:
Considering that she is a hatchery RIR type hen, after losing approx 15 of those to internal laying/egg yolk peritonitis, I'd say that might be what you're dealing with, though she is a tad younger than they usually start showing signs of it.

The yellow-green poop is characteristic of hens who are not eating much and I see it all the time in those who are dying from egg issues. Yes, she could have worms, but none of mine have ever shown signs of worms when this is happening. And they do get wormed about once a year or slightly less often. Upon their deaths and opening them up, you see the oviducts and abdomens full of cheesy gunk, which consists of solidifed infection and egg yolks.

I'm not saying for 100% sure that this is what is wrong as many things can have similar symptoms. A dying hen is a dying hen, unfortunately. You don't want to worm a hen who is severely ill, unless you're pretty sure she is ill from worms. Worming is hard on them.

I have to be tending more that way. Because of everything you said. Yesterday when I put the rubber glove on and inserted it, when I pulled it out out came a lot of that green/yellow goo. Couldn't feel no egg but could feel a lot of junk in there.

I have to be tending more that way. Because of everything you said. Yesterday when I put the rubber glove on and inserted it, when I pulled it out out came a lot of that green/yellow goo. Couldn't feel no egg but could feel a lot of junk in there.
A cloacal palpation can reveal a lot... I've been able to palp oviduct cancer, internal laying and EYP. If you're curious, do the same exam on a known healthy hen, I bet there will be some differences.

-Kathy

I have posted lots of pictures of what I found inside hens who died from internal laying, if you care to do a search under my name for them in Emergencies. I don't have access to all my pics right now since I'm living in an RV in my driveway after a house fire in March. This laptop doesn't have all my pics on it, unfortunately.

A cloacal palpation can reveal a lot... I've been able to palp oviduct cancer, internal laying and EYP. If you're curious, do the same exam on a known healthy hen, I bet there will be some differences.

-Kathy

Sorry for being stupid, but what and how should I do this??

I have posted lots of pictures of what I found inside hens who died from internal laying, if you care to do a search under my name for them in Emergencies. I don't have access to all my pics right now since I'm living in an RV in my driveway after a house fire in March. This laptop doesn't have all my pics on it, unfortunately.

Sorry to hear that!!

after seeing and reading I bet I will find a mass like that in her. Her abdomen is very hard feeling compared to the other hens. And she ALSO lays VERY LARGE eggs compared to the others. Like almost twice as large. I always think there double yokers but there not. Just very large eggs.

I have exactly the same thing in the first chicken i suspected internal hatching or a bound egg but I now suspect worms too as one by one all my chicks are showing the same signs., The poo seemed to be the first sign in mine, I was using the verm x and did not realise that it doesnt actually de worm them once they have worms, i now have flubenvent on the way, I hope this will work.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom