Trouble with mini rex doe kindling

She's stressed out. Leave her alone. She clearly does not feel comfortable or safe if she's trying to bite you. You may need to rethink the way you house your rabbits. She's really not happy at all. 

She came to me like that, has nothing to do with me. Thank you for your advice!!!

Some does do have behavior problems, but to me it sounds like you're being a little harsh on the doe. Rabbits don't purposely hold babies back because they want to kill them; they may deliver later because they're stressed out and their body is telling them that it isn't the right time to kindle. It is common for does to enjoy eating and drinking, but when they actually are in active labor, the hormones/natural instincts should prevent them from indulging in such activities. The doe doesn't "worry" more about eating and drinking than labor. She just isn't in real, active labor when she is still comfortably eating and drinking. As you suspected, the biting during pregnancy is relatively normal. It doesn't mean she is a mean rabbit; it just means she's hormonal and possibly just a little aggressive.

I think your doe's main problem is that she is stressed. I would make sure she is in as quiet a place as possible, has a nest box, feed, and water, and then just let her be. If she is pregnant she will kindle when she feels it is the right, safest time. What are the labor signs that you see?

I'm sorry your other kindling doe had trouble. Was she a Mini Rex, too? Mini Rex, and the other smaller/dwarf breeds tend to have more kindling problems than larger rabbits. Kits may get stuck, as happened with your doe, just due to the rabbit's shape and the size of the kits. The two Mini Rex I've bred haven't had any kindling problems (besides taking a while to get pregnant), but I have heard plenty of stories about does who have difficulty.

Some does do have behavior problems, but to me it sounds like you're being a little harsh on the doe. Rabbits don't purposely hold babies back because they want to kill them; they may deliver later because they're stressed out and their body is telling them that it isn't the right time to kindle. It is common for does to enjoy eating and drinking, but when they actually are in active labor, the hormones/natural instincts should prevent them from indulging in such activities. The doe doesn't "worry" more about eating and drinking than labor. She just isn't in real, active labor when she is still comfortably eating and drinking. As you suspected, the biting during pregnancy is relatively normal. It doesn't mean she is a mean rabbit; it just means she's hormonal and possibly just a little aggressive.

I think your doe's main problem is that she is stressed. I would make sure she is in as quiet a place as possible, has a nest box, feed, and water, and then just let her be. If she is pregnant she will kindle when she feels it is the right, safest time. What are the labor signs that you see?

I'm sorry your other kindling doe had trouble. Was she a Mini Rex, too? Mini Rex, and the other smaller/dwarf breeds tend to have more kindling problems than larger rabbits. Kits may get stuck, as happened with your doe, just due to the rabbit's shape and the size of the kits. The two Mini Rex I've bred haven't had any kindling problems (besides taking a while to get pregnant), but I have heard plenty of stories about does who have difficulty.

I'm not harsh on my doe, thank you for the advice though!

Please keep us updated on her and her (hopefully) babies.
smile.png

A rabbit can't "refuse' to give birth, or willfully 'hold back' the kits. However, it is possible that a kit could get hung up because it is so large, or the doe's contractions may just not be strong enough or organized enough to get the kits delivered. This is a mechanical problem, and not something the doe can control. There is a shot that a vet can give the rabbit to help make the contractions stronger, but it is something that should only be given when labor is actually underway, because using it to try to start labor can kill the rabbit. For this reason, only a vet can give it.

If this rabbit simply has inefficient labor, she is always going to have kindling problems, and you really should rethink your plans to use her as a breeding animal. It could get ridiculously expensive to take her to a vet every time she kindles. Retained kits may or may not be a life-threatening situation for her, at minimum, a retained kit could mummify inside her and render her sterile.

Overweight, out of condition rabbits can have kindling problems simply due to lack of muscle tone. Of course, fat rabbits often won't breed at all, or fail to get pregnant even if they do accept service. In addition to all of that, being fat makes a doe more prone to pregnancy toxemia, so it's a good idea to keep a doe lean and fit if you are thinking about using her as a breeding animal.

Sometimes even otherwise friendly does can become 'touch me nots' when pregnant, though it sounds like this rabbit may be a bit territorial about her space anyway. Honestly, the things you have said make it sounds like you don't like her. If that's the case, perhaps it would be better for you both if you rehomed her. This sounds like a stressful situation for all of you, and if this rabbit is likely to bite, the next person who gets bitten may be one of the kids.

A rabbit can't "refuse' to give birth, or willfully 'hold back' the kits. However, it is possible that a kit could get hung up because it is so large, or the doe's contractions may just not be strong enough or organized enough to get the kits delivered. This is a mechanical problem, and not something the doe can control. There is a shot that a vet can give the rabbit to help make the contractions stronger, but it is something that should only be given when labor is actually underway, because using it to try to start labor can kill the rabbit. For this reason, only a vet can give it. 

If this rabbit simply has inefficient labor, she is always going to have kindling problems, and you really should rethink your plans to use her as a breeding animal. It could get ridiculously expensive to take her to a vet every time she kindles. Retained kits may or may not be a life-threatening situation for her, at minimum, a retained kit could mummify inside her and render her sterile.

Overweight, out of condition rabbits can have kindling problems simply due to lack of muscle tone. Of course, fat rabbits often won't breed at all, or fail to get pregnant even if they do accept service. In addition to all of that, being fat makes a doe more prone to pregnancy toxemia, so it's a good idea to keep a doe lean and fit if you are thinking about using her as a breeding animal.

Sometimes even otherwise friendly does can become 'touch me nots' when pregnant, though it sounds like this rabbit may be a bit territorial about her space anyway. Honestly, the things you have said make it sounds like you don't like her. If that's the case, perhaps it would be better for you both if you rehomed her. This sounds like a stressful situation for all of you, and if this rabbit is likely to bite, the next person who gets bitten may be one of the kids.

She was my fave rabbit. So def not the case, but thank you

Please keep us updated on her and her (hopefully) babies. :)

Sadly she never did Kindle. She continued aggressive behavior and got worse once in a quiet smaller space. She was eventually culled due to aggression, was NOT pregnant and healthy. Just aggressive and very temperamental. Thank you for wanting to be kept updated. I wish it didn't have to come down to that and wish she was sweet so I could trust she would be a good pet.

Back
Top Bottom