Trouble with mini rex doe kindling

TherryChicken

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 16, 2012
del valle, tx
My doe is not a good momma, sadly found this out 100% the second time being bred. First litter she killed by not feeding (first litter), she also kept holding babies back instead of birthing, so one was born dead. Well this time she has gone beyond that. Today is day 32, has had labour signs since yesterday, but once again refuses to Kindle. She also eats and drinks during labour and is always more worried about food and water then labouring. I put her back in with the buck yesterday in hopes it'll bring labouring along and seems it has a little, but still refuses. Her last kits were great in size, not big, not little. She had no problems beyond making herself hold back. What else can I do? I had a different doe Kindle day 33 and she had 4, all dead and 2 had to be pulled. Don't want her going through that.. Need advice please!!

Maybe try keeping where she's at dark and quiet, so that she feels comfortable enough to kindle? If where she is, is too busy and noisy, she will be too stressed to give birth.

Maybe try keeping where she's at dark and quiet, so that she feels comfortable enough to kindle? If where she is, is too busy and noisy, she will be too stressed to give birth.

She's been in the same place for a good while now. I don't have any cages. Do I just use a carrier?

Ok brought her inside in a carrier with only water I may give her Timothy hay though as she's a charlie and her gut problems making her poop really big again.

She's been in the same place for a good while now. I don't have any cages. Do I just use a carrier?

And it'll only be quiet for about 2 hours. My son is a loud wild child and my nephew very cranky due to a cold.
This could very well be the reason she doesn't kindle or mother well. A doe needs to feel that her litter is in a safe spot, away from anything that may disturb the kits, including people and other rabbits. Do you have a room that is away from the hustle and bustle of kids, like a storage closet, garage, or laundry room?

This could very well be the reason she doesn't kindle or mother well. A doe needs to feel that her litter is in a safe spot, away from anything that may disturb the kits, including people and other rabbits. Do you have a room that is away from the hustle and bustle of kids, like a storage closet, garage, or laundry room? 

My son is not allowed in the rabbit area and I've never had problems before except her. She's also a piss thing. Sadly didn't find this out till the second breeding. She won't be bred again. I have her in my room, however that doesnt stop the "screaming" of the kids. They aren't allowed in the room at certain times, but I can't guarantee the screaming won't faze her. I'm deff going to try to keep things as quiet as possible though. I don't want her having a hard birth like poor Olivia (also first time mom).

She's bit me once with last pregnancy. Figured OK well everyone is a lil cranky when pregnant. Then throughout this pregnancy, she's tried biting me twice and has attacked my hand 3 times.. This happens when I go to feed her and she's not given what she wants..

Then if given a treat such as a small piece of carrot or sweet potatoe, she will rip it out of your hands whether your fingers are in the way or not

She's stressed out. Leave her alone. She clearly does not feel comfortable or safe if she's trying to bite you. You may need to rethink the way you house your rabbits. She's really not happy at all.

Back
Top Bottom