Trouble with Neighbors

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by My Hens and Roo, Jan 23, 2014.

1. My Hens and Roo

My Hens and Roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2012
    Cornelius Oregon
    My Coop
    I live in the city limits of a small-town USA. I have a small flock of 5 hens and one rooster. Yes, Rooster… In city limits, he is my second rooster, our first being a black australorp we got from a chick turned out to be a 19 pound jersey giant Roo. I loved him to pieces...beautiful, Beautiful bird! He was very hard on our girls and we re-homed him to a wonderful working farm.
    Here's my dilemma. Last spring...from the same Feedstore we had the last rooster/breed mixup from, we purchased A set of Polish chicks for our granddaughters to raise. We got them home and noticed five toes. So, we thought "silky", as the feet feathered, I posted pictures on this forum asking for a breed check. Turns out they are Turkish white sultans. Never had better pets in all my life! And of course, they are a pair, Hen and Roo aka Mr. & Mrs. Rooster.
    The neighbors to the left of me are elderly. Mr. neighbor was raised on a chicken farm and enjoys the chickens. Unfortunately he has become house ridden with Alzheimer's disease. He doesn't come out much and we don't hear from him anymore. However, mrs. neighbor, who used to be very sweet has become argumentative and combative, to say the least. So she's made it her mission in life to hate all neighborhood children and chickens and has targeted Mr. rooster. The police came to the door the other night to inform us that they have had numerous phone calls from Mrs. Neighbor over the last few months in regard to Mr. rooster. The officer said that they have been trying to put this call off for as long as the complaints have been coming in, as there are several roosters in the neighborhood. They informed us of the ordinance in the city but also shared The fact that they have always ignored the ordinance. Again, we are a small city out in the country. They told us that if we can talk to neighbor down they don't mind if we keep the rooster. The only avenue I can think of going down is playing the endangered card. A friend told me that sultan chickens are deemed "critical" on the livestock endangered species list. It's true! Did anybody know that? I didn't. Interesting no less.
    Can anyone out there help me with this? What would you do? I'll tell you my concern is Mrs. rooster. He protects her because we have very big girls other than her, he has also taken one of the Jersey giant babies we hatched… Oh, I forgot to mention that, as his other love of his life. If we had to re-home him, I think it would break their hearts and his also! Yeah, I'm a sucker for these guys. Love them to The moon!
    Please advise

2. Hinotori

Hinotori Silver Feathers Premium Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Graham, WA
  3. StruckBy

StruckBy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2012
    Marcola, OR
    'Endangered' for livestock does not mean the same thing as the Endangered Species Act if that is what you are asking. It might be a point you could use to bring your formerly sweet neighbor along to your point of view when you bring over homemade quiches & custards to ease some of her burden of caring for her husband and reminisce about how he used to tell you stories of growing up with chickens & how much you miss chatting with him. I've seen the stresses & isolation Alzheimers & being a caretaker bring firsthand...I'd try rebuilding that formerly good relationship first. That he's basically housebound & can't really converse doesn't reduce this couples' need for friendly neighbors, it magnifies it thousandfold.

Sorry, this is a little close to the bone for me...I just moved 600 miles to support my grandmother in caring for my grandfather. It is the most horrible thing you will ever go through...much worse than cancer which my family has also dealt with. Your neighbor isn't reacting to your rooster...she's trying to distract herself from watching her best friend & love die as a person.

3 people like this.
  4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I would let the rooster and hen go to another good home. I may not be popular here, but your home is suppose to be your retreat. And if a rooster is bothering her, it is against the law, whether they enforce it or not.

Mrs K

4 people like this.
  5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Ditto. I'd imagine the extra responsibility of caring for her husband is causing her some stress. And if he doesn't remember he likes the chickens, they may now be disturbing him.

If the rooster isn't allowed and the cops come back to enforce that ordinance, you'll have no choice but to regime them. I'd think it would be better to take the time now to find them a loving home instead of frantically searching at the last minute.
    Anyway, I realize its a hard decision to make. Have you asked your neighbor why she has a sudden dislike? Maybe if you know why the rooster is bothering her you can do something to ease the tension and you all can become friendly again.
    Good luck to you, we just moved nearly 550 miles to get away from neighbors and gain some seclusion. If you live next to them, at some point you've got to deal with them...

1 person likes this.
  6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    First off, if she's caring for an Alzheimer's patient, cut her a lot of slack. Tons. Tons of tons. And keep in mind she may be getting demented herself, especially with a personality change like that.

Have you tried confining your rooster at night? Building a box or bringing him inside, keeping him someplace dark?

If everything else fails, I gotta agree to let them go. If they're illegal, they're illegal, and you knew that when you got them. I understand it sucks, but folks that live in the city limits live there for a reason, they want a city type life. If they move to the country, all bets are off, imo, but if you're in their territory, you've got to play by their rules.

Also, you don't know what's going on inside that house. Depending on his level of disease, could be that rooster's crowing wakes the Mr, and she spends the whole morning trying to convince him he doesn't have to go out and do chores (like he did as a boy)---it may be triggering a lot of stress for them. Or, Mr could be up wandering much of the night, and she doesn't get any sleep. You just don't know.

Does she have family you can talk to? Sounds like she's having caregiver meltdown, and that's putting him at risk also.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
    5 people like this.
  7. My Hens and Roo

My Hens and Roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2012
    Cornelius Oregon
    My Coop
    I appreciate everyone's comments for they are spot on. Yes, I have considered what is going on inside the household and yes, of course I don't know The level of their stresses. My mother-in-law also has Alzheimer's so I am keen to the tragedy of this disease. This has opened my eyes to both sides of the fence here. Odd how one can get so wrapped around their (my) side of a situation, I'm thankful for the opportunity to reach out to this forum. I am taking advice and going to spend my day making quiche and custard. Of course she needs help. And I am more than happy to help lessen her burden. You're right, it may not be the rooster at all for he is fairly quiet... is a late sleeper. And if that is the problem my husband has offered to enclose a little deck off our bedroom as a quiet room for our rooster family to roost at night. Wish us all luck and prosperity as it will be both needed and greatly appreciated!!
    With best intentions,
    Megan

1 person likes this.
  8. sepaditty1

sepaditty1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    I have to say that reading this thread has brought tears to my eyes. I love that you are going to take the neighborly route and try to help. So often in our fast paced, self centered society, the concept of community is lost. I pray that God will bless you and your neighbors and that you can benefit each other. Regardless of what happens to Mr. and Mrs. Rooster.

1 person likes this.
  9. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I'm sorry that you understand what they are going through due to your own family circumstances. We have a couple in our church - she's 86, he's 90 - who are going through the same thing. She is the caregiver. He does not sleep at night, he wanders. She's so busy caring for him that she can't get anything done while he's awake, so she feels as though she can't even take a nap. She can't even go to the bathroom without him coming to look for her. He's on a list to go into a memory care unit, but the list is long and it will be months before he can get in. She is normally a sweet lady, but stress and lack of sleep can affect a person. I'm so glad that you are willing to do what you can to ease the situation with these people.

1 person likes this.
  10. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    To OP: My greatest sympathy for this situation. I will lift this dear couple up in prayer.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by