Troubled from WI

Keep up your resistance. Time are a changin' and backyard hens are becoming more and more acceptable. It is worth it! Just wondering if they could be "grandfathered in" if you had them before the ordinance is passed?

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
from WI.....check out the section about Local ordinances and how to change them. You may get some good ideas/help there. Also, if this ordinance was just passed it sounds like a) there was NO ordinance before or b) it was permitted. I would investigate that and argue that current chickens should at least be 'grandfathered' in. I know recently Monona, WI voted chickens down but I don't know how they resolved the issue with current backyard chickens. Also Madison is a good example on how to change ordinances, MadCityChickens has a web site and I am sure people you can chat with as well. Good Luck!!!!!

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome and encouragement. We are most definately not giving up the fight! We have created a group on Facebook and held a meeting yesterday, which got a very good turnout. We are trying to get one of the council members to reconsider their vote. If we have no luck, we are going to start a petition.

Last edited:
Good for you. It's a sad day when we deny residences who are thoughtful and clean and wish to have a few hens in their back yard, the opportunity to do so. We work hard to keep our hens in attractive, sanitary conditions and people in our community enjoy visiting them. Here's hoping you'll soon have an ordinance that makes these wonderful creatures legal in your garden.
thumbsup.gif

Wow, it's been a long time since I've been on this forum! Well, anywho, I should change the title of this thread from "Troubled" from WI to "Content" from WI. You see, our city council did oringinally vote to ban poultry in city limits. However, one of the council members had a change of heart, and reopened the issue. So now, we can have up to 4 hens, and they've got all kinds of regulations on what your coop needs to be built like. But, we are happy to be able to keep our girls!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I cannot for any logic reason understand why anybody with a yard should not be allowed chickens. I could understand banning grass, or cats, or dogs, but chickens?

Back
Top Bottom