Troubled Muscovies!

Sad but true not many places like Muscovy ducks. That is why I don't let mine hatch anytime they want which would just about be continually, they get their wings clipped to keep them home so they don't over populate the water ways and roam around, and are safe.

Offering him up on craigs list most likely means someone dinner but sounds to me your options are limited. Might find someone who wants a drake for their flock.
When should you clip their wings? And do you have an article or photo of how to do it?

I'm just wondering for future reference because I don't want mine flying away

If i trade him for another duck.. replacing the drake.. can't add anymore ducks.
How many can you have? Is it because of where you live?

I told my husband I'll never move near the city due to laws and regulations. I was raised in the country, but never on a farm. Now I'm creating my own farm slowly, every year we add a new animal, this year it's ducks.

I am curious if one has two or more muscovy hens, might they fly away in search of a drake? Or is it possible for free ranging hens to be content without a drake in the mix? 3 years ago we had a random muscovy hen appear on our farm. We tamed her over a couple of months but then she started flying off for short ventures before flying off for good. We fell in love with her so our kids surprised us with 3 muscovy. We now have a muscovy-palooza.

They just love flying and maybe she found a group of them somewhere. Or something got her. :(

I clip wings in fall after their big molt when they drop their flight feathers. Once they grow back in don't cut until they a full in though they are full of blood till then.

wing_clip_diagram2.jpg

They just love flying and maybe she found a group of them somewhere. Or something got her. :(

I clip wings in fall after their big molt when they drop their flight feathers. Once they grow back in don't cut until they a full in though they are full of blood till then.

wing_clip_diagram2.jpg
My muscovies haven't started flying yet.

How many can you have? Is it because of where you live?

I told my husband I'll never move near the city due to laws and regulations. I was raised in the country, but never on a farm. Now I'm creating my own farm slowly, every year we add a new animal, this year it's ducks.
No it's because of our room. We only have so many coops.

Back
Top Bottom