Troubles regulating heat in homemade incubator- HELP!!

BantamMama13

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 19, 2013
Maine
I made an incubator from a fish tank. I put 3 inch think insulation on the outside of tank, a light with a regular household bulb, a couple rocks for added heat, a bowl of water and a fan to circulate the air. My temperature fluctuates from 80 degrees to 115 degrees and I need to figure out a way to regulate the temp in the next couple days before my eggs arrive this weekend. I have one egg that one of my new layers laid in there but afraid that due to the fluctuations of temp that the egg has gone bad. Any advice or recommendations that I can try?

Do you have a top on it? If not put a styrofoam lid on it with a couple holes for ventilation you can close off the holes with tape till you get a more steady temp.

Do you have a thermostat controlling the temperature. Normally you wont need any insulation in an aquarium, glass isnt a good conductor of heat.

I have a bubble wrap type material covered in silver that I am using for a top. I have a hanging light that I am using for a heat source, I have a hole cut into top of insulation cover. I am having to raise and lower the light to regulate the temp, but that means there's more of a draft going into the tank. I need to buy a new thermometer today, one that shows the humidity levels as well as the temp. I am using a 60 watt light bulb, should I get a different light source? I went to bed last night and temp read 100 degrees and I woke up this morning to the temp being 80. I really don't want to mess up these eggs I am about to get!

you need to set up the light inside the tank some how. and wire it in with a thermostat. one from an electric hot water heat will work. found a lowes or home depot.

Thanks for all the advice! I just decided to remove the headache of trying to regulate the temperature and went to Tractor Supply and purchased a Little Giant incubator. I am so excited, this chicken stuff is really addicting!!

There ya go!!

Some advice on thermometers and hygrometers:

Check that thermometers and hygrometers are correct by testing them against a known criteria

I used a candy thermometer tested in boiling water and noted how far off 212 degrees it was.
Then put the candy thermometer and 3 others in the incubator and compared them all, noting any differences.
I made a chart noting all temps and made notes about if this one reads this temp it is actually that temp.

Hygrometers can be tested by putting 1/2 cup salt and 1/4 cup water in a dish or jar and mixing it to a slurry.
Put the salt slurry jar and the hygrometer next to each other in a sealed plastic bag.
After 8-12 hours the hygrometer should read 75%...again note and differences and you're set.

Good Luck, Have Fun!

Back
Top Bottom