Truck Cap coops/runs

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Prospector, May 18, 2010.

1. Prospector

Prospector Chillin' With My Peeps

I just got an offer of an old cap off a Ranger (small, but chicken sized).

I don't know whether to incorporate it as a canopy in the run I am currently working on, or use it as a roof for the phase 2 coop.

Inspire me. Show me what you've got.

2. rebecky1305

rebecky1305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Lansing, MI
    I would use it for the roof of the coop. It already has ventilation windows in it. [​IMG] I used the windows out of a rotting truck cap in my coop.

[​IMG]

3. canesisters

canesisters Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    Virginia
    boosting this back into the 'mix'.

I've been collecting pieces parts to start my coop with the idea that I'd use an old (LARGE) doghouse as the 'coop' and attach a run. Then, the 'last' piece arrived and now I'm torn. I've got one of those camper shell/truck bed cover things that came out of a standard size truck. I can't decide if I should retro-fit the 4'X4' dog house as my coop and use the shell as the roof of my run..... or use the shell as the roof and build a coop under it - and then have just a wire run.

There are pros and cons to both plans. The biggest 'con' is that I'll have to collect more pieces in order to get a bulding under that cap... but... I'll be able to house MANY MORE CHICKENS [​IMG]

So what does your collective experience tell ya? This will be for my first coop/ first flock. I'm working on a very limited budget trying to go VERY slow in the planning stages because there isn't any 'expanding' or 'revisions' in the forseeable future. (unless I happen to win the lottery or something)

4. Creed Bennett

Creed Bennett Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Western Kentucky
    I just told my wife last night about my plan to use the camper top off of our old pickup to make a coop top. I'll have to get on that project now.

5. canesisters

canesisters Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    Virginia
    Creed - care to share your plans????? [​IMG]

6. egg-cellent

egg-cellent Chillin' With My Peeps

I would like to see this when finished. I have said for years that a truck cap would be a perfect roof on a small coop.
    Someone gave us an old pop up camper that isn't worth fixing. So I was considering taking the top off of it to use on a coop. I think I may take the wood from the bed slides off and use it for something coop related too.

We are making a new coop and I like to weigh all options.

7. Creed Bennett

Aug 25, 2011
    Western Kentucky
    Well, I think I'll make the base on 4X4 pressure treated runners so I can take my tractor and drag it wherever I want to put it. The floor will be 3/4" plywood on pressure treated joist. The walls will be 2x4 studs and tall enough to put a door for me to walk through without bending down. I'm 5'8" so 6 foot will do. Wall material will be metal roofing laying horizontal two sheets high will be a little over 6 feet tall. I have a source here locally for the metal. They have some 34 foot pieces that are galvanized that someone ran over with a fork lift on the end. I can get it for $1 a foot and cut it to the lengths I need. The camper top came of a old Nissan truck that I drove into the ground so it wont be very big but it should make a nice size bantam house for say ten birds. I'll make my own door for it. I'll probably start on it soon since I'm in the building mood. I just finish my latest coop a few minutes ago. Pictures forthcoming.

8. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I wanted to do the same thing with a topper we have here from one of our old trucks. Instead I ended up building a 10 by 12 brand spanking new coop and placed the topper in their run to give them shelter from rain,cold, wind and snow.

9. Creed Bennett

Aug 25, 2011
    Western Kentucky
    Here's my latest creation.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. egg-cellent

egg-cellent Chillin' With My Peeps

Is the chicks you posted a picture of, what is in the norrow, tall coop? Looks like alot of work for chicks..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by